Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

5 month old baby, 9 weeks pregnant and bad morning sickness

Posted by   + Show Post

I have a 5 month old baby and chrismas day we found out that I am pregnant again. :) We are very very excied of course! But there is one problem, MORNING SICKNESS! I am finding it very difficult taking care of a baby and trying not to throw up. Is there any other moms out there who know how I feel? I don't just have "morning" sickness either. It lasts all day every day. I feel it all day long but it seems to hit extremely hard at night right before dinner. (Of course...) Please give me any ideas on how to help my all day sickness so I cancare for my husband and child like a normal person again. So far I have tried tummy tea, ginger tea, lemon water, just regular water, crackers (those don't work the make it worse), and I believe that is it. Please help me I am getting desperate!

Thanks!

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Replies (21-30):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Yes, been through this many times....lol

I made sure to drink water, not over eat or under eat and just do as much as I can

mandapanda82
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:52 PM
I only took it when absolutely needed it and I only had it for the first 5 mos then off and on. So I really didnt end up taking that many, just in the early early stages when i was getting used to the hormones I guess... MS it's nasty stuff.:(

Quoting abra:

Here is more detailed info on zofran: 

What is ondansetron (Zofran)?

Ondansetron blocks the actions of chemicals in the body that can trigger nausea and vomiting.

Ondansetron is used to prevent nausea and vomiting that may be caused by surgery or by medicine to treat cancer (chemotherapy or radiation).

Ondansetron may be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.

Ondansetron 4 mg ODT-MYL

round, white, imprinted with M, 732

What are the possible side effects of ondansetron (Zofran)?

Get emergency medical help if you have any of thesesigns of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:

• blurred vision or temporary vision loss (lasting from only a few minutes to several hours);
  • severe dizziness, feeling short of breath, fainting, fast or pounding heartbeats;
  • slow heart rate, trouble breathing;
  • anxiety, agitation, shivering;
  • feeling like you might pass out; or
  • urinating less than usual or not at all.

Less serious side effects may include:

• diarrhea or constipation;
  • weakness or tired feeling;
  • fever;
  • headache; or
  • dizziness, drowsiness.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

Read the Zofran (ondansetron hydrochloride) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects ยป

What is the most important information I should know about ondansetron (Zofran)?

You should not use this medication if you are allergic to ondansetron or to similar medicines such as dolasetron (Anzemet), granisetron (Kytril), or palonosetron (Aloxi). Do not take ondansetron if you are also using apomorphine (Apokyn).

Before taking ondansetron, tell your doctor if you have liver disease, or a personal or family history of Long QT syndrome.

Ondansetron orally disintegrating tablets may contain phenylalanine. Tell your doctor if you have phenylketonuria (PKU).

The serious side effects of this medication include blurred vision or temporary vision loss (lasting from only a few minutes to several hours), slow heart rate, trouble breathing, anxiety, agitation, shivering, feeling like you might pass out, and urinating less than usual or not at all. Stop taking ondansetron and call your doctor at once if you have any of these side effects.

Ondansetron may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.

http://www.rxlist.com/zofran-drug/patient-images-side-effects.htm

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mandapanda82
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Yep that med saved me in the first half of the pregnancy, lol!

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

i couldnt imagine. Bless you. i took Ondansetron 4mg tab twice a day perscribed to me the whole pregnancy. That stuff is amazing. Im so glad i dont have to go through pregnancy ever again. Im done

mandapanda82
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Really? It gave you headaches? Interesting- I never got that side effect! I guess it affects everyone differently

Quoting angevil53:

I take zofran for mine sometimes. It does give you bad headaches though.

mandapanda82
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:58 PM
I had no idea these side effects of zofran were so severe- I didn't get any of them luckily

Quoting abra:

You'll want to be careful with zofran. Hopefully your dr won't prescribe it unless it was an emergency. It hasn't actually been proven safe during pregnancy and the side effects can be worse then morning sickness. I had to take it (or I would have miscarried due to malnutrition and dehydration) and some of the side effects are severe migraines, constipation (a lot of women have to go to the hospital to get disimpacted, you'd end up needing to take stool softeners and fiber supplements if you are trying ot stay regular. Bruised and bleeding rectums aren't uncommon.) It can also cause weird heart rythms and can increase depression. Obviously smaller doses have less side effects but if you are able to only take a small dosage to take care of your nausea and vomiting, there are much safer and cheaper things to be taking. The truth is, zofran for regular morning sickness is overkill. They prescribed it to my sister for regular morning sickness and she quit after 3 days. She said taking zofran was worse then the morning sickness! The drug was designed for chemotherapy patients and was only intended to be used short term. There are much less severe drugs if natural and OTC therapies don't work, including compazine and phenergan. 

For regular morning sickness, try to stay positive. I know it is really difficult! Focus on staying hydrated and try protein and/or a vitmain b6 and unisom routine to help with the nausea and vomiting. Let go of the housework and just focus on connecting with your baby and husband. My  third was 7 months old when I got pregnant with my fourth and was already put on bedrest and ivs by 6 weeks into the pregnancy. I spent a lot of time  on the laying on the floor with my baby with a puke bucket next to my head. If the tv doesn't make you sick, you can snuggle and watch tv. Have your hubby babyproof your home (lock down cabinets, babygates, outlet plugs, etc) so you don't have to worry about baby hurting themselves. Crock pot meals are a Godsend because you can prepare them cold, freeze them, and then just pop them into the crockpot in the morning and you don't have to deal with it after that. I usually ran an extension cord outside so I didn't smell anything cooking. Do you have friends or family who could also help with either preparing crockpot meals, grocery shopping or childcare?

Hang in there! It won't last forever. ((hugs)) 

Jensep
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Preggy pops, and they also make other morning sickness candies that taste very good & work amazing!!! You can find usually at Walgreens, but you should call around, took me a while to find them around me!

Mrs.Bolin
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:01 PM

i had to use it the whole time. I would never puke. I just had that yucky feeling

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

i couldnt imagine. Bless you. i took Ondansetron 4mg tab twice a day perscribed to me the whole pregnancy. That stuff is amazing. Im so glad i dont have to go through pregnancy ever again. Im done

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
mandapanda82
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Babies r us has em- I always needed something stronger unfortunately like meds

Quoting Jensep:

Preggy pops, and they also make other morning sickness candies that taste very good & work amazing!!! You can find usually at Walgreens, but you should call around, took me a while to find them around me!

mandapanda82
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I had to make myself puke..,:-/ but I didn't have to take them past like month 5... Just maybe 1 or 2 times toward the end

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

i had to use it the whole time. I would never puke. I just had that yucky feeling

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

Kim042269
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I took ginger supplements. Make sure they're not too strong, though, or they'll make you feel sick all over again. Also check your drugstore for pressure point wrist bands. I've didn't know about them when I was pregnant, but I hear they work. I wouldn't take a prescription med for morning sickness when I was pregnant because I'm too paranoid they'll find out later it does something bad. I feel for you, but if it makes you feel better, when I was miserably sick while pregnant my midwife told me it's a sign the baby's healthy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)