Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Infuriated with my Pediatricians staff

So yesterday morning my 15 month old daughter woke up with a 102 fever and had thrown up in the night so I gave her some motrin and took her to the doc. They checked her out and said she has an ear infection so we went and got her antibiotics and went home. I fed her and put her down for a nap but she only slept for 10 mins and then was up screaming and crying. I went and got her and let her lay on the couch with me while I sat there. She looked really out of it and bright red so I took her temp. It was 105.5. I freaked out called the doctor while checking it over and over. By then I am getting 106 readings. I tell the staff what is happening so she says please hold and puts me on hold for 5 minutes. Then she picks back up and says I am going to put you over to the nurse she will call you back and transfers me to an answering machine. I was INFURIATED! I left a message and by the time she calls me back I am getting my daughter in the car to go to the ER. She calls and says well she does have an ear infection a fever is normal. I say yes I know this but not 106 this is to high. She is trying to talk me out of going to the ER and I say no I am going and hung up. We spend most of the day in the ER while they monitored her fever and tried to get it down. They did some chest xrays and found some bronchitis. After a long day we got it down to 101 and they gave us instructions on how to get the fever down and keep it down. Needless to say... I am just SO angry with that doctors office. Today my baby woke up and she had a 103 fever but I followed the ER instructions and have it back down to 100. So glad we went to the hospital.
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Replies (11-20):
daytonbaby210
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I would have been really pissed.

AshlynnJadesMom
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM
I had already given her motrin. She had this fever WITH motrin in her system already.
mandapanda82
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Idiots!! Wtf the poor baby had a 106 and they're saying oh it's nothing?! That would've really pissed me off- how's she doin any better? I hope she recovers fast- ear infections are the worst my dd# 1 always got em
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AshlynnJadesMom
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:54 PM
I am alternating motrin and tylenol with luke warm baths. I just checked it before her tylenol dosage and it was still 103.8. It is going up and down. Once her meds start to wear off it goes right back up.
kirstina
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:33 PM
You were right to take her to the er a temp that high is dangerous.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
iansmommy9
by Natasha on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:46 PM

WOW...honestly, there are times the nurses are just reading from a book. I found that out when my son was 8 weeks old and his zantac wasn't working very well for his reflux. I went through what I was doing at home and she scolded me for feeding him too much, bushe t would talk to the doc and call me back. I was so upset to think I might have done something wrong, but KNEW I'd had a discussion with the pedi the last time I was there about amount of food.

When the nurse called me back and said the pedi wanted to put him a stronger med, I questioned about why she said he couldn't eat that much, but  the doc said it was OK. She admitted the doc had corrected her and that she was given a book to go by for many of the calls she handled.

You did the right thing by getting your lo to the ER. Good for you mommy!

Salem2012
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:09 PM

OMG that is  horrible!! :( I am sorry you had to go through that and hopefully your daughter is feeling better!

jbrown4000
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a Family Medicine physician, and I don't think I would have kept my 15 month old at home with a 106 either, even if she had an ear infection. Nor would I treat any of my patients that way.  Obviously, none of us were there to hear the conversation, but it seems as if they simply didn't or couldn't put themselves in your position. In the end, it sounds like there is nothing the ED did that you could not have done yourself BUT one thing you can't do at home is have peace of mind that heaven forbid things do not improve, thre's a hospital floor upstairs.  When you say they tried to convince you to stay at home, was it done with a tone of, "I know this is hard when your child is this sick, and you have to do what is best for you, but we think it's ok to stay at home if you do..." or did they come off as, "Stop whining. It's just a fever.  She'll be fine." 

And in case no one ever told you, for a fever that is more like 102, 103, the major things we look for are... Is baby still feeding and peeing?  Is baby arousable?  If the answer to these questions are yes, she's probably ok.  If you child has not peed for 24 hours, stops eating or just won't wake up, bring her right in.  Being fussy and low energy is to be expected.

I hope you are all doing well

Mrs.Bolin
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:24 PM

freakin idiots. sorry you had to go through that

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Sorry you had to go through that : (

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)