Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Infuriated with my Pediatricians staff

So yesterday morning my 15 month old daughter woke up with a 102 fever and had thrown up in the night so I gave her some motrin and took her to the doc. They checked her out and said she has an ear infection so we went and got her antibiotics and went home. I fed her and put her down for a nap but she only slept for 10 mins and then was up screaming and crying. I went and got her and let her lay on the couch with me while I sat there. She looked really out of it and bright red so I took her temp. It was 105.5. I freaked out called the doctor while checking it over and over. By then I am getting 106 readings. I tell the staff what is happening so she says please hold and puts me on hold for 5 minutes. Then she picks back up and says I am going to put you over to the nurse she will call you back and transfers me to an answering machine. I was INFURIATED! I left a message and by the time she calls me back I am getting my daughter in the car to go to the ER. She calls and says well she does have an ear infection a fever is normal. I say yes I know this but not 106 this is to high. She is trying to talk me out of going to the ER and I say no I am going and hung up. We spend most of the day in the ER while they monitored her fever and tried to get it down. They did some chest xrays and found some bronchitis. After a long day we got it down to 101 and they gave us instructions on how to get the fever down and keep it down. Needless to say... I am just SO angry with that doctors office. Today my baby woke up and she had a 103 fever but I followed the ER instructions and have it back down to 100. So glad we went to the hospital.
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Replies (21-30):
hayvensmommy07
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Fever that high can cause brain damage.......switch doctors
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Oh my gosh I would have been pissed and I would be finding a new pediatircian. You did the right thing by taking her to the ER and I hope she feels better soon.

babie113
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:24 PM

anything over 104 you should go to the er asap because over that and your child is at risk or seizures and brain damage .this happened to my uncle when he was 5 he had a 105f temp and he had a seizure and hes been severely handicap ever since because of brain damage .

not all nurses know this .they should but some dont .

ElliesMommyy
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:27 PM

My DD had the SAME thing happen to her, next time just take her in. It is VERY scary when it gets that high, my DD looked like she was about to pass out and was SOOO out of it I was so scared, when I took her to the ER and I told them it was at 105 and counting they looked at me like I was crazy. Needles to say it was just an infection coming on that her body was trying to fight off. 

Staffs are so dumb these days though. I'm sorry.

renae87
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:43 AM

aww..hope she feels better soon.

rrs256
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:58 AM

I would definitely talk to the doctor about that nurse and explain what happened.

Olivia11812
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:27 AM
I'm so glad she's feeling better and I would have done the same thing as you, I'm one to freak out as well because I'm a new mom my daughter had a fever of 101 when she had conjunctivitis and I was freaking out!!!! Good for you for taking her in anyway!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I'm so glad things are working out for you and your little one right now.

I would find another doctor. This one has a staff that doesn't seem to care about their patients. 

I hope your little one feels better soon. Poor little girl. I also hope you feel better soon, momma. Nothing worse than having a little one that doesn't feel well.

I would have done the exact same thing that you did. 

JaronDMC
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Hope baby feels better. I almost left a pedi office because of bad staff but talked to the dr first about it and decided to stay.
mylilprincesses
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:34 PM
oh my goodness! what a idiot nurse. good thing you went to the ER.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)