Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Infuriated with my Pediatricians staff

So yesterday morning my 15 month old daughter woke up with a 102 fever and had thrown up in the night so I gave her some motrin and took her to the doc. They checked her out and said she has an ear infection so we went and got her antibiotics and went home. I fed her and put her down for a nap but she only slept for 10 mins and then was up screaming and crying. I went and got her and let her lay on the couch with me while I sat there. She looked really out of it and bright red so I took her temp. It was 105.5. I freaked out called the doctor while checking it over and over. By then I am getting 106 readings. I tell the staff what is happening so she says please hold and puts me on hold for 5 minutes. Then she picks back up and says I am going to put you over to the nurse she will call you back and transfers me to an answering machine. I was INFURIATED! I left a message and by the time she calls me back I am getting my daughter in the car to go to the ER. She calls and says well she does have an ear infection a fever is normal. I say yes I know this but not 106 this is to high. She is trying to talk me out of going to the ER and I say no I am going and hung up. We spend most of the day in the ER while they monitored her fever and tried to get it down. They did some chest xrays and found some bronchitis. After a long day we got it down to 101 and they gave us instructions on how to get the fever down and keep it down. Needless to say... I am just SO angry with that doctors office. Today my baby woke up and she had a 103 fever but I followed the ER instructions and have it back down to 100. So glad we went to the hospital.
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Replies (31-37):
AshlynnJadesMom
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Thank you for all of the concerns. She is finally doing better today. Took a few days to get that fever below 100 but I followed the ER instructions and kept her hydrated. The doctors office called me twice thursday asking about her and trying to give me more advice. I was very short with them....
PEEK05
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Dude I'd be pissed at that office too!

supermomz25
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:11 PM

even if I have talked to a doctor, I always follow my mommy insticts first. I know my baby best.

AshlynnJadesMom
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Ya as I was on hold with the stupid office I was gathering her things and loading her into the car while my husband rushed down the drive way. I do not play with fevers. I would rather be safe than sorry. You can't turn back time if something bad happens.
SRUsarahSC
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:15 PM

If I got a temp reading that high, I wouldn't have even called the PEDI, that for me would have been a straight to the ER situation.

AshlynnJadesMom
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:17 PM
I was already going I mostly just called to see if there was anything I could do to help before I left or was on the way. They were zero help.
RetiredUSAFWife
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I used to be like you and worried to much about stuff concerning illness and small children. As I said earlier, although a fever that high is definately a reason to call the doctor, sometimes younger children have higher fevers, and believe it or not, aren't always seriously ill with it. Sometimes a child will not even have a fever, but be very sick. So I learned to determine on my own when it was time to call the doctor. Our pediatrician always reassured us that there was no "Magic" cure for certain things, they just had to take their course, and we need to learn to be patient sometimes. We haven't had to take any of our grandchildren in sick for almost eight years now, because we drink Xango. (It's a dietary supplement that keeps us all healthy. Sometimes we'll come down with symptoms of a cold though, and we nip it in the bud with extra amounts of the juice. (It tastes really good too, and children love it).. Anyway, our grand daughter came down with a cold about three weeks or more ago, and after a week of treating her ourselves, I decided to call the doctor, because it wasn't going away. He said, Yes, that is going around, and it's taking anywhere from two weeks to several weeks to go away. If she develops a fever then bring her in to be checked. Before he told us it's been lasting a long time though, I was wondering, because some over the counter medications say, "If it's longer than a certain amount of time, call the doctor. So I called him again, to have him reassure us that she's okay still. She still has the cough, but it's finally getting better. So sometimes a trip to the doctor, may make things worse, because all the other germs are there aswell. There are many times I'd take our children in for their well visits, and then have to take them back a week later sick. LOL So use your own judgement. If it's a small child under six months then be more cautious. Otherwise, you can treat things at home for a short period of time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN