Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No Vitamin D in breastmilk?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:04 PM
  • 146 Replies
2 moms liked this

Thats what my sons pedi told me! She says i need to give him vitamin D drops in his jar food or my milk while im at work. Is that true? She said if i dont he can get rickets? i dont know how to spell that but, its where his bones will just bend when he tries to stand? ive never heard of this before! Anyone else?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirstina
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM
6 moms liked this
I never gave any of my 3 kids vitamins of any kind as babies. My breast milk is good enough.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ninjabubble
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:08 PM
We did it with DS but he needed extra vitamins. They only did it for a month. We just started giving him multi vitamin drops again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paradys
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:09 PM
29 moms liked this
No, it's not true! Babies are born with a supply of vit-D that should last until 6 months, at which point their bodies can start making it themselves from sun exposure.
Breastmilk does have vit-D, it's just lower than what's in formula because it's easier to digest than supplemental vit-D.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paradys
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:11 PM
14 moms liked this
Also, before giving any vitamin supplements tell Dr. to do a blood test to prove baby is deficient.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Bolin
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:13 PM
4 moms liked this

Doc is right but your baby might not need it. It depends. Go to kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d/. It will tell you why.

abra
by Abra on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:25 PM
2 moms liked this

this. Lots of people are vit. d deficient, though. If you are breastfeeding, make sure you are taking your vitamins. If you are using formula, then it's already in there. :-)

Quoting kirstina:

I never gave any of my 3 kids vitamins of any kind as babies. My breast milk is good enough.

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

-Mommy-2-Three-
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Its true!

preacherskid
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:31 PM
8 moms liked this

Infants do have stores, and breastmilk does have small amounts of vit D, but our bodies were not designed to absorb vit D from food, they were designed to PRODUCE vit D from sun exposure.  Ten to fifteen minutes a day is enough sun exposure for an adult to produce the optimal level of vit D.  It can be absorbed from foods, but it is less accessible and less well absorbed so greater amounts may be required on a daily basis.

Cynthje
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I never suplemented it but we live in the caribbean so it was easy to expose my kids to enough sunlight to get it.

That doesnt mean that your babies have to be suplemented though, if enough sunlight is not possible you should take the extra vit D and have it go through the BM to the baby.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I never gave it to my children and they are fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)