Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No Vitamin D in breastmilk?

Posted by   + Show Post

Thats what my sons pedi told me! She says i need to give him vitamin D drops in his jar food or my milk while im at work. Is that true? She said if i dont he can get rickets? i dont know how to spell that but, its where his bones will just bend when he tries to stand? ive never heard of this before! Anyone else?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Replies (91-100):
Cpop1980
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I give my baby dvisol, your babies may be just fine, but I don't want mine to become the one that suffers. Not all doctors are out to get you and I prefer to keep my son out of the dangerous sun rays.
mammanoel
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:13 PM

This time our family dr said I needed to give my little guy vit D at 2 months because breastmilk doesn't have enough but I was never told that with my other 3 kids and they are all perfectly healthy.  I don't think there is any reason to assume that they need it so young (or at all)- our family dr isn't the biggest supporter of breastfeeding so I'm guessing it's the beginning of her pushing for formula.

Redwall
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I googled this and it said that yes, you should take a Vitamin D3 supplement.  There just isn't enough Vitamin D in breast milk.

sarahtaylor07
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:00 PM
10 minutes of sun exposure daily is sufficient to stimulste his body tonproduce its own vitamin d.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ikette
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:13 PM
I nursed four babies for a total of 72 months. They were all given vit d supplements. The little guy due in six weeks will also be given them. I have been told by more than one doctor that it is a good idea, that is why we give supplements. Just in case we missed something in our diet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashanya
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:13 PM

vitamin d isnt a vitamin it's hormone and you get that from the sun...my son is healthy and breast milk was just fine for him and has been fine for other children forever!

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:32 PM

It depends what mom's vitamin D levels are.  If you're deficient then there won't be much passing thru the milk.  Optimal ranges are 65-80ng/ml and 25-hydroxy is the test to ask for.  

Giving infants vitamin D

Breastfeeding infants under one year of age should take 1,000 IU/day unless the mother takes 5,000 IU/day, in which case the infants will get all they need from breast milk.

Jeanne from England writes: 

Dr. Cannell: I have a four-month-old infant and I am worried because I only took a prenatal vitamin during my pregnancy but no extra vitamin D. I am breastfeeding but I give him formula as well as breast milk. Do I need to give him extra vitamin D?

Dr Cannell replies:

Yes, you do. In fact, CDC researchers just announced that less than 25% of U.S. infants are getting the outdated recommended amount of vitamin D (400 IU/day). I suspect the situation is worse in England. Dr. Cria Perrine and her colleagues at the CDC analyzed questionnaires sent to over 15,000 mothers with infants ranging in age from 1–10 months1.    

The breast milk of vitamin D deficient mothers contains little vitamin D and virtually all mothers are deficient, thus breast milk usually has little vitamin D. Dr. Perrine found that only about 10% of breast-feeding infants are supplemented to meet the 400 IU/day recommendation; more surprising, only about 30% of formula-fed infants were getting 300 IU/day, mainly because few infants consume the one liter of formula needed to do so.

One bad sign, Dr. Perrine reiterated the 1999 American Academy of Pediatrics sunshine warning, which amounts to child abuse, stating, "children under the age of 6 months should be kept out of the sun altogether and that those aged 6 months or older should wear protective clothing and sunscreen to minimize sun exposure." One good sign, WebMD mentioned that adequate amounts of vitamin D might prevent respiratory infections in infants2.    

The Vitamin D Council recommends that breastfeeding infants under one year of age should take 1,000 IU/day unless the mother takes 5,000 IU/day, in which case the infants will get all they need from breast milk. Formula fed infants need an extra 600 IU/day. Carlson Ddrops, either 400, 1,000, or 2,000 IU/drop, are available at most health food stores and on the internet and are an easy way to keep your infant vitamin D sufficient. I understand that similar dropper products are available in England's health food stores.

By the way, Drs. Carol Wagner and Bruce Hollis have just presented their data about pregnant women and vitamin D.

Their study had two treatment arms; pregnant women took either 2,000 IU/day and 4,000 IU/day. In Belgium, Dr. Hollis reported their findings forced them to discontinue the 2,000 IU/day treatment arm for ethical reasons: it was associated with more obstetrical complications than the 4,000 IU/day treatment arm.

Page last edited: 05 November 2010

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:34 PM

That's only IF mom was not deficient in vitamin d during the pregancy.

Quoting Paradys:

No, it's not true! Babies are born with a supply of vit-D that should last until 6 months, at which point their bodies can start making it themselves from sun exposure.
Breastmilk does have vit-D, it's just lower than what's in formula because it's easier to digest than supplemental vit-D.

RetiredUSAFWife
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I've heard of rickets, its to do with Whatever we eat I think. (In other words, if we don't get enough of certain things in our diet, it can affect children. Perhaps your child has something lacking in his body that will benefit from the advice you got.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)