Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 4 1/2 month old tosses and turns all night!

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM
  • 9 Replies
It started happening about two weeks ago when he refused to sleep in his crib. Now he co sleeps with me, while my husband sleeps on the floor, poor guy. I thought he might just not be getting full, he would "sleep" for two hours tossing and turning finally waking himself all the way up. We started adding rice to his bottles and it seemed to help but now he's doing it again, he doesn't take long naps during the day, maybe two half hour ones. So it's safe to say I'm one tired momma! Help!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
robibuni
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

4 months is a NOTORIOUSLY bad month for sleep.

I wouldn't add the rice just to make him full since a lot of babies have sleep issues around 4 months, so it's not necessarily an issue of him being hungry (though he very well could be). Have you tried keeping a routine before bed? With my DD2, we take our bath, rub her down with nighttime lotion, put on her jammies, and nurse her to sleep in bed and she's out at almost the same time everyday. She knows whats coming next every time!

Also, try a white noise machine? A fan? That helps babies sleep. I'll add, my DD2 has never been a great napper either so chances are, he might be a bit overtired. You gotta work him down with the routine so he can slowly drift off.

Bentleysmommma
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Thanks! I definitely need to try to get him on a routine and stick to it. He doesn't have one, I don't get much help from the husband once he comes home from work, so I usually just let the baby do whatever he feels like doing. I need to get my but in gear, and just do it to help us both out(:

Quoting robibuni:

I wouldn't add the rice just to make him full since a lot of babies have sleep issues around 4 months, so it's not necessarily an issue of him being hungry (though he very well could be). Have you tried keeping a routine before bed? With my DD2, we take our bath, rub her down with nighttime lotion, put on her jammies, and nurse her to sleep in bed and she's out at almost the same time everyday. She knows whats coming next every time!

Also, try a white noise machine? A fan? That helps babies sleep. I'll add, my DD2 has never been a great napper either so chances are, he might be a bit overtired. You gotta work him down with the routine so he can slowly drift off.

mandapanda82
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:10 PM
I'm tired too!! My dds gonna be 5 mos on the 30th and idk what she's going through.. But short naps, waking more at night, screaming, fussy. I'm thinking maybe teething? I tried the cereal in bottle for her reflux and it did nothing for her sleep... I just quit it cuz it's not even good for em.. It can cause all sorts of negative stuff later on like allergies and they can't digest it properly now. Well I hope you figure your sleep issue:)
robibuni
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I completely understand. When my DH gets home, he just wants to relax and play Black Ops 2 so at times he's not much help, but he also understands things run much smoother with both of us working together!

The way my girls' routine works, DH chooses which part of the routine he wants to be involved in. He chooses to give them a bath. That's his special time with the girls and he enjoys it. Then he helps DD1 brush her teeth and brush her hair, and I do storytime which takes 15-20 minutes.

By the time that's done, DD2 (my infant) is ready for bed and I nurse her to sleep. Then DH and I have our time together!

Let your DH choose what he wants to do, but he has to do one thing. That gives you time to do something else (be it have me time, clean, whatever), and then take over for the rest of your bedtime routine.

Quoting Bentleysmommma:

Thanks! I definitely need to try to get him on a routine and stick to it. He doesn't have one, I don't get much help from the husband once he comes home from work, so I usually just let the baby do whatever he feels like doing. I need to get my but in gear, and just do it to help us both out(:

Quoting robibuni:

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:01 PM

When babies start to teeth, their sleeping slows down! lol. My son didn't sleep the best  from 4-6 months and then started sleeping better again.

rwebb11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:22 AM
My guess is he is overly tired. My son is 5 months old and takes at least 2 2 hour naps a day and is still sleeping a full nights sleep. Try a routine, also try different sleeping positions. My son will only stay asleep if he is on his tummy. If I put him on his back, he wakes up immediately.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bris_mom
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Sounds like it could' be your typical 4 month regression. Hang in there it gets better
expectantmom81
by Erin on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM
It's probably a growth spurt or teething. Try swaddling or use a shirt with your scent as a blanket.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kryysteez
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:56 AM

Did he have recent vaccines?  They make babies very uncomfortable  I suggest spreading them out , or getting fewer at a time, or I personally would not let them get any.  Surveys show the NON-vaccinated are much healthier.  Visit the "choosing not to vaccinate" group on cafemom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)