Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Am I the only mom who thinks it's unbelievably rude when a stranger touches my baby?

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM
  • 80 Replies
2 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Do you think it's rude to touch a stranger's baby?

Options:

yes

no

depends on the person

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 124

View Results

This morning at Trader Joes I snapped at a woman in the checkout line. She was standing behind me baby-talking to my 8 month old (which I hate... we don't baby-talk to her ever, but I always keep my mouth shut about it). She reached over and stroked my kid's cheek and I was like wtf lady, but I said "Uhm no, don't touch my baby. I didn't say it was ok, I don't know you, she doesn't know you. That's so rude." She went to stand in another line and I got a weird look from the lady in front of me.

Seriously, EW! I don't know if your hands are clean, if you're sick, if you're some emotional/spiritual succubus. Bottom line, I think it's plain rude to touch a stranger's baby. I would never do it, and I'm unapologetic about being ultra defensive when strange people try to touch my baby.

Am I alone on this? Is it overprotective and weird? It REALLY bothers me.

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momto1ryen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM
6 moms liked this

I'm not sure if rude is the word I would use. I don't neccesarily like it, but some people you can just tell especially elderly that saying hi to my baby and getting that smile makes their day. I prefer for them not to touch my child especially during flu season, but I know people mean no harm by it. I usually don't say anything unless it gets to be to much.

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:19 PM
5 moms liked this
It's not only rude it's completely disrespectful to you and the baby. I don't let strangers touch me, why should I let them touch somebody who can't defend themselves? I find it even worse than strangers who touch pregnant bellies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ACrowsNest
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Let me clarify by saying I don't mind people saying hi to her and talking to her, or playing peek-a-boo or whatever. She loves people, but she's also very sensitive and doesn't like people in her space. 

And I don't think that being elderly gives you a pass on getting too close to my child.

pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:25 PM
4 moms liked this
I let random old ladies hold him and kiss him lol.
I don't really see the harm in it and he absolutely loves the attention.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellaamore
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I let people hold mY daughter, hug her, etc.

As long as they arent obviously disgusting or sick, i see no issue.

kirstina
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:29 PM
I don't have a problem with it most the time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blondieinva80
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm with you OP...mines a preemie,so I keep him away from everyone as much as possible,but there are times that I have no choice but to take him to store with me....I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut if someone did that!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
OliviaW.
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I answered depends. While I would never touch someone else's baby (cause personally I hate it myself) I have bit my tongue while other people have touched my kids...mostly it has been my son and normally it was only his hair cause he had a full head of darn curly hair with blonde highlights when he was born. 

babygomez
by April on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's a little weird, but I would never say anything rude when a nice lady gently strokes his arm or hair. I just smile and tell my son "say 'hi' ".

Babies are cute! I can't blame them. Lol

momto1ryen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Dd was a preemie too so when I had to go out I would wear her in the Moby. She was so small I can't even tell you how many times someone would double glance at me and go "Oh there's a baby in there!" Then I wouldn't let anybody touch her, heck we barely let people at the house.

Quoting blondieinva80:

I'm with you OP...mines a preemie,so I keep him away from everyone as much as possible,but there are times that I have no choice but to take him to store with me....I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut if someone did that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)