Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Am I the only mom who thinks it's unbelievably rude when a stranger touches my baby?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you think it's rude to touch a stranger's baby?

Options:

yes

no

depends on the person

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 124

View Results

This morning at Trader Joes I snapped at a woman in the checkout line. She was standing behind me baby-talking to my 8 month old (which I hate... we don't baby-talk to her ever, but I always keep my mouth shut about it). She reached over and stroked my kid's cheek and I was like wtf lady, but I said "Uhm no, don't touch my baby. I didn't say it was ok, I don't know you, she doesn't know you. That's so rude." She went to stand in another line and I got a weird look from the lady in front of me.

Seriously, EW! I don't know if your hands are clean, if you're sick, if you're some emotional/spiritual succubus. Bottom line, I think it's plain rude to touch a stranger's baby. I would never do it, and I'm unapologetic about being ultra defensive when strange people try to touch my baby.

Am I alone on this? Is it overprotective and weird? It REALLY bothers me.

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Replies (71-80):
ACrowsNest
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

personally i think YOU were outragiously rude. That was uncalled-for. Wow!!! How you acted was rude. Im not saying that she had the right to touch your baby but how you acted was childish. Thats just my opinion and i couldnt think of a nicer way to break it to you. And what is wrong with someone baby talking to a baby? seriously? This is my opinion so if you dont like it then its fine. Not trying to pick a fight with you.

Gee that's a funny way of "not picking a fight" there

-child in question's dad

Mrs.Bolin
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:36 PM

its not. I confronted you on your actions. You were a hateful women and should be ashamed of yourself for how you acted and you know it. You just dont wanna admit it..unless you are a total cold hearted person. 

Quoting ACrowsNest:

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

personally i think YOU were outragiously rude. That was uncalled-for. Wow!!! How you acted was rude. Im not saying that she had the right to touch your baby but how you acted was childish. Thats just my opinion and i couldnt think of a nicer way to break it to you. And what is wrong with someone baby talking to a baby? seriously? This is my opinion so if you dont like it then its fine. Not trying to pick a fight with you.

-child in question's dad

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
kellysparkles
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

My baby is only a few weeks old but I had a lady at the doctor reach towards my DD and I quickly snapped, "Please don't touch her!!" and she just glared at me.  I told her she's only two weeks (at the time she was, we were at the doctor for her follow-up appointment) and I don't want strangers touching her.  If she used Purell (which I offered her) she could hold my daughter's hand, but she got up and said, "Nevermind!" 

Oh well.  I don't know where the heck her hands had been.

ACrowsNest
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:55 PM

You don't know thing one about me. How dare you call me names and attack my character.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

its not. I confronted you on your actions. You were a hateful women and should be ashamed of yourself for how you acted and you know it. You just dont wanna admit it..unless you are a total cold hearted person. 

Quoting ACrowsNest:

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

-child in question's dad

Mrs.Bolin
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:14 PM

No...how dare you attack someone over just rubbing your babies cheek. No she shouldnt have done it but some people are nice and dont think about that stuff all the time. Your Character is rude. No wonder they looked at you funny cause i wouldnt have kept my mouth shut if i was there and had to see that. I woulda hurt your lil feelins real fast girl

Quoting ACrowsNest:

You don't know thing one about me. How dare you call me names and attack my character.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

Quoting ACrowsNest:

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

-child in question's dad

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
Fightclmembr
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I usually wear my youngest so no one touches her!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ACrowsNest
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I was holding her, that's why I was surprised when she did that

Quoting Fightclmembr:

ACrowsNest
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I WILL NOT FEEL ASHAMED FOR PROTECTING MY CHILD.

You are just being nasty and launching a personal attack on me for no reason whatsoever. 

Oh but I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you were judge, jury, and executioner of my life. 

Go troll somewhere else.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

No...how dare you attack someone over just rubbing your babies cheek. No she shouldnt have done it but some people are nice and dont think about that stuff all the time. Your Character is rude. No wonder they looked at you funny cause i wouldnt have kept my mouth shut if i was there and had to see that. I woulda hurt your lil feelins real fast girl

Quoting ACrowsNest:

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

Quoting ACrowsNest:

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

-child in question's dad

Fightclmembr
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh my gosh, then yeah I'd have probably said the same!! My middle had a sign on his carseat that said "STOP. Wash your hands before touching mine!".

Plus, you can't tell by looking at a lot of kids if they are immune compromised! What if my baby has CHD? CF? MG? You can't see those things...and adding someone else's germs could be really bad!

Quoting ACrowsNest:

I was holding her, that's why I was surprised when she did that

Quoting Fightclmembr:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brandy85412
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

As a general rule of thumb I would not touch some random persons baby in the store.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)