Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

No Pacifiers....

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM
  • 52 Replies

According to the american academy of pediatrics and a few other articles I have researched pacifiers cause problems with breastfeeding, especially with new babies.  I had major issues breastfeeding my daughter (now 3 years old) and was never able to.  So with my son I decided to do EVERYTHING to makes sure I could breastfeed as long as possible.  There have been many hurdles to get past, but now there is one that is especially difficult.  I need ideas on soothing without a paci, any ideas?

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTnJT
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:42 PM

BUMP!

JTnJT
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Wish I could help you mama....but none of mine ever liked the paci...so I never had to deal with this....sorry.

TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:46 PM
2 moms liked this

How old is baby?  With my newborns, every whimper was met with a boob in their mouth  :)  They also spent most of the day in a wrap so they were always close to mommy.

ChWuGu
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM

He has only ever had a paci once or twice.  When he was born he was coombs positive and his bilirubin was really really high.  So we had to put him on a photo therapy table until we could get the biliblanket.  So we tried giving him a paci to calm him down so he would stay on the table and get better.  He didn't really seem to care for it much.  So the problem isn't that he wants a paci, it is just that he gets fussy and the only way to make him stop is to breastfeed (even when he isn't hungry) and this makes it so I get stuck on the couch for hours and hours some times.  So I was just wondering if there were any creative ways to sooth a baby without having to use a paci

Quoting JTnJT:

Wish I could help you mama....but none of mine ever liked the paci...so I never had to deal with this....sorry.

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Pay attention to them. That is all. Hold them when they need it.

My kids never used pacifiers and they were never needed.

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Do you have a sling or a wrap? He could do with you nursing or just being held while you do your thing hands free!

Quoting ChWuGu:

He has only ever had a paci once or twice.  When he was born he was coombs positive and his bilirubin was really really high.  So we had to put him on a photo therapy table until we could get the biliblanket.  So we tried giving him a paci to calm him down so he would stay on the table and get better.  He didn't really seem to care for it much.  So the problem isn't that he wants a paci, it is just that he gets fussy and the only way to make him stop is to breastfeed (even when he isn't hungry) and this makes it so I get stuck on the couch for hours and hours some times.  So I was just wondering if there were any creative ways to sooth a baby without having to use a paci

Quoting JTnJT:

ChWuGu
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I try to feed him to calm him down and usually it works, but some times it doesn't and I can get stuck on the couch for hours nursing him, which just sort of sucks because I can't get any house work done or take care of my daughter.  Oh, and he is almost 4 weeks old.  Everyone tells me this part ends soon, but idk because I had to bottle feed my daughter, and she had a paci so there wasn't an issue of fussiness

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

How old is baby?  With my newborns, every whimper was met with a boob in their mouth  :)  They also spent most of the day in a wrap so they were always close to mommy.

angela.bouchard
by Angela on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM
We just stopped offering them at 4 months. We soothes by rocking and cuddling or distracting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:04 PM

It does get better, but at 4 weeks, feeding him and snuggling in bed or on the  couch is really all you SHOULD be doing  :)  Well, and taking care of his big sister. . . . .  As far as house work goes - it can wait. And truly, a sling or wrap will be your best friend - they love to be snuggled in close to mom, and you have your hands free.

Quoting ChWuGu:

I try to feed him to calm him down and usually it works, but some times it doesn't and I can get stuck on the couch for hours nursing him, which just sort of sucks because I can't get any house work done or take care of my daughter.  Oh, and he is almost 4 weeks old.  Everyone tells me this part ends soon, but idk because I had to bottle feed my daughter, and she had a paci so there wasn't an issue of fussiness

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Peytonsmommy310
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:05 PM
My son took a paci from day one and nursed til 2 1/2 years and stikl takes a bink
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)