Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training question.

I know kids should potty train when they are ready, but what do you think is the earliest a baby can understand it? Like, you say lets go potty and they know what you're talking about. Or at what age should you at least give it a shot?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM
2.5-3 at the earliest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimlee
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM

my daughter started at 17 months and was potty trained by 22months. she understood and wanted to do it

littleredhead93
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I've never understood the need to potty train ASAP. These are years you'll never get back. Plus, even once their potty trained there's so much hassle getting the child to go or remember to go. So for me, I plan on waiting 'til my daughter is at least 5 yrs old.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM
EC is for infants, ideally starting by 6 months. It's not at all the same as traditional potty training, in fact it's more like parent training. We don't do it, but I've got a friend who does it with her kids from birth...they still had to potty train later on.

OP, by 18 months, you can truly begin potty training, at last that's when I've started showing my kids the process. They've all been fully potty trained within a month or two of their second birthday.

Quoting abra:

I think elimination communication training starts at 18 months. I usually train m kids at 3 years, though. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
little.worthen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM

because diapers suck. i dont mind losing the diaper changing at all. babies should be born potty trained..

(of course that was a joke. i hope you get it)

Quoting littleredhead93:

I've never understood the need to potty train ASAP. These are years you'll never get back. Plus, even once their potty trained there's so much hassle getting the child to go or remember to go. So for me, I plan on waiting 'til my daughter is at least 5 yrs old.

little.worthen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:55 AM

what is Elimination whatever? how do you do it?

Quoting larissalarie:

EC is for infants, ideally starting by 6 months. It's not at all the same as traditional potty training, in fact it's more like parent training. We don't do it, but I've got a friend who does it with her kids from birth...they still had to potty train later on.

OP, by 18 months, you can truly begin potty training, at last that's when I've started showing my kids the process. They've all been fully potty trained within a month or two of their second birthday.

Quoting abra:

I think elimination communication training starts at 18 months. I usually train m kids at 3 years, though. :-)

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM
I'm not certain how teaching a child to put their excrement in a toilet rather than a diaper robs you of their early years, lol. And if they're developmentally ready there's no prompting, coaxing, or reminding necessary. They should be fully in charge of it and let the adult know when they need to go. There's never been any hassle here, they showed an interest and I didn't want to hold them back so I showed them. After that knew that when they needed to go they say "potty" and run to the bathroom. Pretty simple really, no real work required :-)

That said, everyone should train when they think is best!

Quoting littleredhead93:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Very basically, you observe the baby closely and learn the cues they make right before they go potty and take them and hold them over a toilet to do their business when they indicate it's about to happen. So you don't use diapers and "teach" the baby to go in those.

Quoting little.worthen:

what is Elimination whatever? how do you do it?

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting abra:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirstina
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:07 PM
I waited until my son was 2 1/2 he took forever to potty train like 2 years really. My 1 did was potty trained by 3. I am going to try a 3 potty training that I read about on another site with my youngest. She is 16 months and I plan to start next week when we have 3 days without appointment.
abra
by Abra on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:22 PM
I agree that moms tend to rush to potty training when in reality, diapering is just part of being a parent. You get used to it and learn to be content changing diapers all the time. When mothers can't stand changing their baby's diapers, their lack of patience and understanding usually manifests in other parts of their parenting, too. They need to get over themselves. I train my kids after they turn 3. They can communicate and cooperate at that age. They usually have daytime training down in about a week. No harm, no foul.

Quoting littleredhead93:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)