Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Potty training question.

I know kids should potty train when they are ready, but what do you think is the earliest a baby can understand it? Like, you say lets go potty and they know what you're talking about. Or at what age should you at least give it a shot?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Replies (31-40):
mamabens
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't train our kids we allow them to learnt he potty when they're ready. For my girls I thought it would never happen but both started using the potty on their own the week before their 3rd birthday. My son I expected longer because I've heard boys take longer. He surprised me by coming to me a week or two after his second birthday asking to use the potty & never wore a daytime diaper after that. I wholeheartedly think it's because he was cloth diapered & knew what it felt like to be wet. We did keep a potty seat in the bathroom but not for him, it was because my 3 yr old wasn't always able to hold it if someone else was using the bathroom & we only have 1 bathroom. So it came in handy. If I were going to try to 'train' them(I hate that word btw) I wouldn't try before 2 yrs.

BabyFruit Ticker

alliesaurus
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:12 PM

It happens at different times for everyone. My kids have always pretty much joined me in the bathroom on my trips lol. I got a little potty when my oldest was around 14-15 months and she would just sit on her potty and copy me. Se still wasn't potty trained until she was closer to 2.5... But she learned about the potty,knew what it was for, and had used it sparatically a few times. It just took the rest of the time for her to want to make the effort. I never expected her to use it or even asked her if she had to go...it was mostly about her becoming comfortable with the idea.

tyrelsmom
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:17 PM
I don't either. I give my SIL cash and she buys them for me with her credit card.

www.assuntastore.com for some inexpensive but good quality diapers. If you're interested. I use their covers, SIL uses their pocket diapers, and we're both very happy with them.

Quoting little.worthen:

i wanted to try cloth, but i dont have an account that i can buy diapers online so i cant buy any... its really sucky. my son has rashes too. i've tried a bunch of things. i had to make cloth wipes..

Quoting tyrelsmom:

She couldn't either, lol. I held her.

She was pretty special that way. I think her sensitive skin had a lot to do with it. She had a horrible rash for almost 3 months. Until I figured out the secret. Cloth diapers, changed as soon as she goes. I literally checked her every 10 minutes. Or less. Very soon I didn't need to, she'd let me know. Then she started letting me know. BEFORE she went some of the time. Took me a bit to click in, but I did eventually. And from there she went at her own pace with just a little help and encouragement from me. She wore diapers anyway until about 16 months when I finally found panties small enough for her. But the last few months of that, she'd mostly wear the same diaper all day, because it was still clean. I would just take it off every time she needed to go, she'd go, I'd wipe her and put it back on, lol.

My youngest I gave the opportunity pretty much from birth, and she has always done most #2s in the potty. But she's 13 months and still pees in her diaper more often than the potty. Just doesn't have the interest her sister did. Whatever, I don't care, she's still a baby. She'll do it on her own time. I've laid the groundwork, now it's up to her.

Quoting little.worthen:

whoa, how did you manage that? my son couldnt even sit up at 5 months

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Started at 5 months with my 3rd, she was day trained by 13 months.

hapababies
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this
You are completely right, you can start elimination communication starting at birth. You just need to educate yourself on how to do it and be very in tune with your baby's cues. I had a friend do it starting at about 3 months old, she was really successful at it. I was impressed.

Quoting NowImAMom...:

I did a little looking into elimination communication out of curiosity. From my understanding, it can start from birth and it is easiest to start before baby is 6 months old, because that is when the going potty cues tend to start disappearing if they aren't encouraged. I could be wrong though.

Quoting abra:

I think elimination communication training starts at 18 months. I usually train m kids at 3 years, though. :-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I totally agree with this... Your child should show some interest in it in order for potty training to be successful. My 3 year old was not interested at all until he was close to 3 years old, and even then it's been challenging. My 18 month old is a monkey see, monkey do and wants to go potty too. He takes off his diaper and sits on his potty without any encouragement from me to do so. Some days, I think my youngest is going to be out of diapers before my oldest.

Quoting larissalarie:

Lol, I wouldn't place much stock in anything she says...this same person who says potty training before 3 means you lack patience and understanding also advocates CIO and a bunch of other hands off, moms-needs-first parenting techniques.

Some kids aren't ready til late, some are ready early. My kids have all expressed an interest in it very early. What WOULD be selfish is me ignoring their desire to learn because I happen to find diapers a lot more convenient (Which is true, diapers are easier. Any Mom who's been through potty training will tell you that much. Letting them go in a diaper and changing it is WAY easier than having to take them to the potty, but we don't delay potty training when a child indicates they're ready for our own convenience)
Quoting little.worthen:

well thats a pretty harsh judgement over people you dont know..

Quoting abra:

I agree that moms tend to rush to potty training when in reality, diapering is just part of being a parent. You get used to it and learn to be content changing diapers all the time. When mothers can't stand changing their baby's diapers, their lack of patience and understanding usually manifests in other parts of their parenting, too. They need to get over themselves. I train my kids after they turn 3. They can communicate and cooperate at that age. They usually have daytime training down in about a week. No harm, no foul.

Quoting littleredhead93:

I've never understood the need to potty train ASAP. These are years you'll never get back. Plus, even once their potty trained there's so much hassle getting the child to go or remember to go. So for me, I plan on waiting 'til my daughter is at least 5 yrs old.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

For us not before 2.

little.worthen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Is playing in the toilet considered interest in the potty?? Hahahaha

Quoting hapababies:

I totally agree with this... Your child should show some interest in it in order for potty training to be successful. My 3 year old was not interested at all until he was close to 3 years old, and even then it's been challenging. My 18 month old is a monkey see, monkey do and wants to go potty too. He takes off his diaper and sits on his potty without any encouragement from me to do so. Some days, I think my youngest is going to be out of diapers before my oldest.

Quoting larissalarie:

Lol, I wouldn't place much stock in anything she says...this same person who says potty training before 3 means you lack patience and understanding also advocates CIO and a bunch of other hands off, moms-needs-first parenting techniques.

Some kids aren't ready til late, some are ready early. My kids have all expressed an interest in it very early. What WOULD be selfish is me ignoring their desire to learn because I happen to find diapers a lot more convenient (Which is true, diapers are easier. Any Mom who's been through potty training will tell you that much. Letting them go in a diaper and changing it is WAY easier than having to take them to the potty, but we don't delay potty training when a child indicates they're ready for our own convenience)
Quoting little.worthen:

well thats a pretty harsh judgement over people you dont know..

Quoting abra:

I agree that moms tend to rush to potty training when in reality, diapering is just part of being a parent. You get used to it and learn to be content changing diapers all the time. When mothers can't stand changing their baby's diapers, their lack of patience and understanding usually manifests in other parts of their parenting, too. They need to get over themselves. I train my kids after they turn 3. They can communicate and cooperate at that age. They usually have daytime training down in about a week. No harm, no foul.

Quoting littleredhead93:

I've never understood the need to potty train ASAP. These are years you'll never get back. Plus, even once their potty trained there's so much hassle getting the child to go or remember to go. So for me, I plan on waiting 'til my daughter is at least 5 yrs old.

Hatred4none
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Well my mom started us very young about 2-3 months. She would hold us over the toilet and make hissing sounds and we'd go. She'd take us after feedings and meals when we were older, or after we wake up. But we could tell her by 18 months bcoz by then we were talking. We were just slow walkers. I think we all started walking around the time we started to talk. I did the same with my ds but was a bit inconsistent bcoz working part time. So if I took him when he had to go he would go. Only upside to my experience was that he wouldn't poop in his diaper, no matter what. Didn't do it with my dd, now I have a 16month old who'll pee in the potty but will potty in her diaper! Agh! :)

mandapanda82
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Ya I really think before 2 is too young.... But some kids do catch on. My dd wasn't fully pt until 31/2

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

when they start understanding.   i couldn't imagine starting before two... but i know sometimes girls mature a little faster.

Amberleigh81
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:37 AM
I am going to start introducing my 15mo to the potty soon. He likes to watch people go and he waves "bye-bye" to the flushing toilet. I figure we'll get him started now and go really slowly with it. I am hoping he'll be trained by two. He's really smart and wants to do everything like a grownup, so I hope that helps! I also cloth diaper, so I hope that I can train him to let me know when he's wet. He's already going and squatting in a corner to poop!

I, for one, can't wait for him to be potty trained. I love my baby, but diapers are NOT my joy. It's a part of my "mom" job, but I do not enjoy it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)