Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Potty training question.

I know kids should potty train when they are ready, but what do you think is the earliest a baby can understand it? Like, you say lets go potty and they know what you're talking about. Or at what age should you at least give it a shot?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Replies (41-46):
Snapdragon88
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I potty trained my son when he was 2.5... didn't take long at all. He was more than ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM
LMBO! I'm not sure. Both of my boys were fascinated with the water in the toilet. It drove me crazy.

Quoting little.worthen:

Is playing in the toilet considered interest in the potty?? Hahahaha

Quoting hapababies:

I totally agree with this... Your child should show some interest in it in order for potty training to be successful. My 3 year old was not interested at all until he was close to 3 years old, and even then it's been challenging. My 18 month old is a monkey see, monkey do and wants to go potty too. He takes off his diaper and sits on his potty without any encouragement from me to do so. Some days, I think my youngest is going to be out of diapers before my oldest.

Quoting larissalarie:

Lol, I wouldn't place much stock in anything she says...this same person who says potty training before 3 means you lack patience and understanding also advocates CIO and a bunch of other hands off, moms-needs-first parenting techniques.

Some kids aren't ready til late, some are ready early. My kids have all expressed an interest in it very early. What WOULD be selfish is me ignoring their desire to learn because I happen to find diapers a lot more convenient (Which is true, diapers are easier. Any Mom who's been through potty training will tell you that much. Letting them go in a diaper and changing it is WAY easier than having to take them to the potty, but we don't delay potty training when a child indicates they're ready for our own convenience)
Quoting little.worthen:

well thats a pretty harsh judgement over people you dont know..

Quoting abra:

I agree that moms tend to rush to potty training when in reality, diapering is just part of being a parent. You get used to it and learn to be content changing diapers all the time. When mothers can't stand changing their baby's diapers, their lack of patience and understanding usually manifests in other parts of their parenting, too. They need to get over themselves. I train my kids after they turn 3. They can communicate and cooperate at that age. They usually have daytime training down in about a week. No harm, no foul.

Quoting littleredhead93:

I've never understood the need to potty train ASAP. These are years you'll never get back. Plus, even once their potty trained there's so much hassle getting the child to go or remember to go. So for me, I plan on waiting 'til my daughter is at least 5 yrs old.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littleredhead93
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Thank you. I'm glad someone agrees. 

Quoting abra:

I agree that moms tend to rush to potty training when in reality, diapering is just part of being a parent. You get used to it and learn to be content changing diapers all the time. When mothers can't stand changing their baby's diapers, their lack of patience and understanding usually manifests in other parts of their parenting, too. They need to get over themselves. I train my kids after they turn 3. They can communicate and cooperate at that age. They usually have daytime training down in about a week. No harm, no foul.

Quoting littleredhead93:

I've never understood the need to potty train ASAP. These are years you'll never get back. Plus, even once their potty trained there's so much hassle getting the child to go or remember to go. So for me, I plan on waiting 'til my daughter is at least 5 yrs old.

January1964
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I think they can understand at 18 months but many won't be fully trained until 3 or 3 1/2 actually.

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:38 PM

2 1/2 is when most doctors recommend as that's when they can actually learn how to control their bladder. Before then they can't control it so it makes a lot of mistakes. However, I've introduced the potty to my daughter at 18 months. She knows what it's for, how to sit on it, and she sits on it with her diaper when she goes potty. It's not potty training, but I think it'll help her to understand first and then act out when she's ready.

momtomy7kids
by Michelle on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:44 AM

I have potty trained mine after they turned 2. I would say that anytime after they turn 2 is probably the earliest that they are going to know anything about the potty.

Michelle
Mom to 4 boys and 3 girls with #8 on the way
Emily, Jordan, Sara, Jason, Aiden, Chloe, Nick and EDD 7-29-13

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)