Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Rejecting Formula? *edit*

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:28 PM
  • 6 Replies

My daughter just turned 6 months old on the 23rd. I wasn't able to breastfeed, so she is formula fed. She's been on Nutramigen since about 1.5 month to 2 months old because she has a really sensitive tummy. It's pre-digested, so their digestive systems don't have to work so hard to digest the food. 

In any case, the last two days she's been vomiting quite a bit. No fever, no other signs of illness. The last appointment I had with her doctor, I was told that we could try different formulas when she turns 6 months old, because her system should be stronger by now. I haven't done that, but I was wondering if it's possible that her digestive system is rejecting the formula now because it's stronger? Is that a possibility? Is the vomiting a sign that she's ready for different formula? 

I'll ask my doctor about this because I have an appointment on Thursday. I was just curious in the meantime, if anyone else has gone through this. Thanks! 

EDIT: I took her to the doctor and he said there is a new bug going around. He wasn't too concerned though, since she wasn't dehydrated and hasn't gotten a fever. Thanks all, for your replies! It's appreciated. 

feeding baby

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Duquesne
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Is she teething? Is it vomit or lots of spit up? Could she have a stomach bug?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
angevil53
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:30 PM
I would just try a smaller amount to start and more frequent feedings.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
merryvoice
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I actually do that. I always start with 2-3 ounces, even if she ends up eating 8. I don't give her any more than 3 at a time and let her break in between. 

Quoting angevil53:

I would just try a smaller amount to start and more frequent feedings.

merryvoice
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:33 PM

She is, and she has been for awhile, actually. No teeth yet, but teething for about two months now. I haven't noticed any other signs of sickness, so I would say no to the stomach bug. 

Quoting Duquesne:

Is she teething? Is it vomit or lots of spit up? Could she have a stomach bug?

babygirlsmom12
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:36 PM

DO u tend to move her around after she eats.. i know my daughter she had to gonna take it easy for a little cuz if she move her around she will spit up alot or pukes.. My daughter is 8 months old and also she just got over the flu  it lasted a week and all her signs was vomited and very tired and fussy,, she didnt have a fever or anything and couple times diarrea and also like the other moms try couple oz at a time or maybe you need to use something for senitive stomachs i know they have alot out there...

merryvoice
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:29 PM

No, definitely not. I took her to the doctor today and it turns out she does have a bit of a bug. And she does use formula for sensitive digestive systems. She has since she was about 2 months old. 

Quoting babygirlsmom12:

DO u tend to move her around after she eats.. i know my daughter she had to gonna take it easy for a little cuz if she move her around she will spit up alot or pukes.. My daughter is 8 months old and also she just got over the flu  it lasted a week and all her signs was vomited and very tired and fussy,, she didnt have a fever or anything and couple times diarrea and also like the other moms try couple oz at a time or maybe you need to use something for senitive stomachs i know they have alot out there...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)