Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Pregnant with baby #2 with a 5 year old daughter

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:11 PM
  • 21 Replies

We just found out we're expecting our 2nd baby with an estimated due date of October 2nd, 2013. My daughter just made 5 on January 25th. She's excited about the baby, but wow, I feel like I'm starting all over almost like I've never done this before! lol. I almost feel crazy saying that, but true. I remember with her I spent ENDLESS nights on CafeMom researching so many things and now I find myself wanting to do it all over again. Am I crazy?? haha. But anyway, what are some tips? I'm sure things have changed since 2008. How do you deal with a 5 year age gap as far as with the pregnancy and the whole bringing the new baby home? Just any advice would be good because I'm not even sure of what to ask. 

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stargazerwolf
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest turns 5 in April, her sister is almost 9 months old, so I have a 4 year gap and so far it seems great! She was excited when I told her mommy was going to have a brother or sister and especially when I started getting big and baby started kicking. She has been an amazing big sister since her little sister was born. She likes to feed her sometimes and throws diapers away for me and things like that. Its a lot of fun.  The only issue is sometimes she wants to play harder than what her sister can play right now. :) Congrats!

Amybelle
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:45 PM

you'll be fine, there's a 21 yr age gap between my oldest & youngest

ashybaby87
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Yea, I'm thinking Sophia will make a great big sister when her brother or sister arrives. Right now she's just "when? we get the baby tonight?" - explaining the baby is growing is a bit more difficult for her to understand lol

Quoting stargazerwolf:

My oldest turns 5 in April, her sister is almost 9 months old, so I have a 4 year gap and so far it seems great! She was excited when I told her mommy was going to have a brother or sister and especially when I started getting big and baby started kicking. She has been an amazing big sister since her little sister was born. She likes to feed her sometimes and throws diapers away for me and things like that. Its a lot of fun.  The only issue is sometimes she wants to play harder than what her sister can play right now. :) Congrats!

Mrs.Bolin
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:09 PM

My daughter was born in 08. She will be 5 in july. Its amazing but it is harder and my baby is 4.2 mos. She is totally different then my oldest and defiinatly harder then my daughter. I guess since i had it so easy with my first it backfired on my second.lol. I love it though. I have involved my daughter in everything from before till now that her lil sister is here. She has never once showed an ounce of jealousy. Let her make a name to call the baby for now. My daughter called my belly turtle the whole time. I recieved a baby blanket from my baby shower that has the babies name embroidered on it and its zebra print. I went on estsy.com and ordered a zebra fleece throw for like$20 that had Mallorys name on it and bought a  big sister  book from walmart.com. They have them for boys too. I gave these to her the night before i had to go to the hospital and have my c-sec. She loves them. Let her help decorate the room or fix things. Mallory loves re-stocking the basket that we keep diapers in on the changing table. It will all come back to you. We explained to her that the baby will cry alot and thats what babies do. Mallory didnt really understand much at first and all i could do was tell her that it will be a very long time. When my belly gets really really big then that means that Maybree will come out soon.

ashybaby87
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I think she would enjoy helping and I'm sure things will come back to me. Since I got a free little book at my doctors appointment where I can keep up with things along the pregnancy it has pics of the growth of the baby during the pregnancy - well I try showing her the "dot" and telling her that's what her baby looks like now and go flip through the pics saying thats what her baby will look like as it gets bigger. I think she's finally catching on to the fact that "mommy has a baby in her tummy" but until I start to actually show it'll be harder for her to understand. I'm very excited about it though regardless! I guess just trying to get back in to the swing of things?

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

My daughter was born in 08. She will be 5 in july. Its amazing but it is harder and my baby is 4.2 mos. She is totally different then my oldest and defiinatly harder then my daughter. I guess since i had it so easy with my first it backfired on my second.lol. I love it though. I have involved my daughter in everything from before till now that her lil sister is here. She has never once showed an ounce of jealousy. Let her make a name to call the baby for now. My daughter called my belly turtle the whole time. I recieved a baby blanket from my baby shower that has the babies name embroidered on it and its zebra print. I went on estsy.com and ordered a zebra fleece throw for like$20 that had Mallorys name on it and bought a  big sister  book from walmart.com. They have them for boys too. I gave these to her the night before i had to go to the hospital and have my c-sec. She loves them. Let her help decorate the room or fix things. Mallory loves re-stocking the basket that we keep diapers in on the changing table. It will all come back to you. We explained to her that the baby will cry alot and thats what babies do. Mallory didnt really understand much at first and all i could do was tell her that it will be a very long time. When my belly gets really really big then that means that Maybree will come out soon.

Mrs.Bolin
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:18 PM

lol, yeah, just take it one day at a time. Thats what i did. Its so different. 

Quoting ashybaby87:

I think she would enjoy helping and I'm sure things will come back to me. Since I got a free little book at my doctors appointment where I can keep up with things along the pregnancy it has pics of the growth of the baby during the pregnancy - well I try showing her the "dot" and telling her that's what her baby looks like now and go flip through the pics saying thats what her baby will look like as it gets bigger. I think she's finally catching on to the fact that "mommy has a baby in her tummy" but until I start to actually show it'll be harder for her to understand. I'm very excited about it though regardless! I guess just trying to get back in to the swing of things?

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
ashybaby87
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

It is, It's like I feel like I'm "new" at this yet I'm more prepared and know what to expect. Maybe I'm just "hormonaly" confused or want to chat? Idk lol 

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

lol, yeah, just take it one day at a time. Thats what i did. Its so different. 

Quoting ashybaby87:

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Congrats on your pregnancy :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
abra
by Abra on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations!!! 

MixedCooke
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:03 AM
1 mom liked this

sibling rivalry will be ever present.  At that age though, she will be quite helpful as far as getting things and even helping to feed the baby.  She may appreciate a present from the baby when you deliver and will always remember that the baby got it for her.  My girls are 2.5 yrs apart.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN