Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Discipline?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:28 AM
  • 17 Replies
My DD is 8 days shy of one. She's just recently started being very mobile, she has been crawling and walking along things for awhile now but all the sudden she seemed to get all this energy and is being a wild baby lol
. At our house, its extremely baby proofed, we moved when DD was about 9 months so we made sure we had everything organized. DD can pretty much go where she wants to, and she has her 'play' stations in the living room/my room so every room is fine for her to be in. Here's my question; she cries sometimes when I tell her no. Not every time, just once in awhile. M I doing anything wrong here? I'm only telling her no because she's trying to do things that could hurt her, like trying to climb onto the TV, and I don't scream, just say no firmly and calm, I say it twice then I remove her from the situation and just tell her "no playing on the TV babygirl" and leave it alone. Any advice? Is this normal? Will it get better? I know it's probably normal, just wanted some advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyOfOnee
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:33 AM
And I also tell her no for hitting
I just wondered if it was because she doesn't hear it often at all? I mean, like maybe once a week will I say no, because she doesn't really to anything that requires me to correct
her. Most of the time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyOfOnee
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyOfOnee
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyOfOnee
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CelestialSong
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Well, she cries because she was about to do something new and fun and you wouldn't let her :) It's normal. My 18 month old just started with the tantrums when I have to stop her from doing something, so I'd say... it will probably get a little better, then get a lot worse :P But someday it will get better, I hope!

queen_k0302
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:58 AM
She could just be one of those kids who get their feelings hurt easy. My dd is and started out like that. It's good for them not to hear it all the time. Otherwise it wouldn't mean anything.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirstina
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:01 AM
She doesn't need much discipline just yet. Its normal for them to cry when told know. You made her mad. She wanted to climb up that TV darn it but she can't tell you that with words. You can tell her I know your mad but climbing on the TV is dangerous. Does she understand yet? No will she over time? Yes and she will learn to use her words to express her emotions. Most try to get there kids involved in a different activity to distract them which can work.
For hitting do the same. I know you upset with me for xyz but we don't hit. You hurt me when you hit me.
It does get better.
MommyOfOnee
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:14 AM
That's what I think too. I only tell her no and explain why and then I will move her awayy and give her something else to do, like a book or toy, which always works but when I first say no she'll cry. I always explain to her why she can't do something, iknow she may not understand yet but I think if I keep telling her why eventually she will know that I'm not just being a Meany lol and really understand why she needs to stop something. That's for your tips!

Quoting kirstina:

She doesn't need much discipline just yet. Its normal for them to cry when told know. You made her mad. She wanted to climb up that TV darn it but she can't tell you that with words. You can tell her I know your mad but climbing on the TV is dangerous. Does she understand yet? No will she over time? Yes and she will learn to use her words to express her emotions. Most try to get there kids involved in a different activity to distract them which can work.

For hitting do the same. I know you upset with me for xyz but we don't hit. You hurt me when you hit me.

It does get better.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyOfOnee
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:29 AM
I think she is. She used to get more upset when her dad would tell her no, I think due to his firmer voice, I keep my voice calmer and just a little harsher than my normal voice. She doesn't hear it often at all because I agree, the more they hear it, the faster it looses it's meaning. She has free rein of the house because we wanted to make sure she had room to explore and play, our other apartment was so tiny she had no place to go. Thank you for your tips! I think she will outgrow this but she's my first and I always appreciate tips!

Quoting queen_k0302:

She could just be one of those kids who get their feelings hurt easy. My dd is and started out like that. It's good for them not to hear it all the time. Otherwise it wouldn't mean anything.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyOfOnee
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Thank you for your tips! She's such a great baby and I'm hoping that will continue through the terrible twos, and yes I know that's wishful thinking lol

Quoting CelestialSong:

Well, she cries because she was about to do something new and fun and you wouldn't let her :) It's normal. My 18 month old just started with the tantrums when I have to stop her from doing something, so I'd say... it will probably get a little better, then get a lot worse :P But someday it will get better, I hope!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)