Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Hiccups!

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:07 PM
  • 8 Replies
Any suggestions on how to get rid of hiccups in my newborn. She gets them every night when I'm winding her down for bed. I feel so bad fit her cus they sound like they hurt :( .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
shjchica
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I've been looking for the same answer, she gets them EVERY feeding, even when she was BF...I have gripe water but I haven't tried it for hiccups yet

mymanben
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:41 PM
My son did that ( I couldn't breast feed) when I switched bottles they stopped. I used dr.browns
mymanben
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:41 PM
My son did that ( I couldn't breast feed) when I switched bottles they stopped. I used dr.browns
NightShade19
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Did your baby hiccup a lot when you were preggo?? Mine would get hiccups ALL the time in my belly and she still gets them a lot.

They don't hurt as much as they sound, my dr said unless they cause a lot of spit up not to worry about them.

My oldest would get them once in a whole, and a little sugar on the pacifier helped her every time. My youngest it does nothing lol
Gwensmom13
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:03 AM
I use dr browns bottles and I breast feed. She got hiccups all the time while I was prego too :)
babygomez
by April on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:16 AM

I've read that hiccups generally don't bother them. You can try burping her after every feeding, if you don't already. And whether you are feeding her formula or breastmilk, offering her some can help them go away, by her sucking.

abra
by Abra on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I agree with this :-)

Quoting babygomez:

I've read that hiccups generally don't bother them. You can try burping her after every feeding, if you don't already. And whether you are feeding her formula or breastmilk, offering her some can help them go away, by her sucking.

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

abra
by Abra on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

"New parents come armed with many questions. Common questions are answered here.. Another common question is if it is okay for a newborn to hiccup. Many newborns hiccup…it is very normal. Hiccups are caused when the diaphragm contracts. This is involuntary. We do not know why newborns are more prone to hiccups, but it may be do to immaturity of the diaphragm. Hiccups do not bother the newborn, and they do not need to be stopped. You do not need to give them water or try any other hiccup stopping techniques. The hiccups will decrease in frequency over the first few weeks." 

http://blogs.babycenter.com/mom_stories/newborn-hiccups-are-okay/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)