Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rice cereal- Yes or No? whats your opinion?

Hello ladies! So I have a 4 month old baby boy who I'll admit loves to eat and lately the past couple weeks feel like I can't get him off my chest! Lol so my mother starting suggesting I feed him rice cereal to 'satisfy him" n that she fed it to me and my 3 brothers all at 3 months and he'll be fine blah blah. I'm kinda iffy about it, not sure if its something I want to do, spoke to his doc and he said it would be ok to start him on cereal too if I desired. Was wondering if any other mommies do/have feed cereal to your LOs or if u don't and what your reasons for choosing to or not too?
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
jridgill
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:34 PM
We never used it with any of our kids. They all started out with table food.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
abra
by Abra on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I'm not a fan of rice cereal because it is so processed. I usually start oatmeal but not until they are 6 months old. Before that, it is too hard on their digestion. 

brebugmom91
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:52 PM
I start rice cereal at 4 months just as a starter food. By 7 months we are on baby food.
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Nope!  If you wouldn't sit down and eat a bowl of it then why feed it to your child.

I'm doing BLS with my son now and its so much easier than purees and jar foods!!!!

kameka
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:01 PM
I always wait till AT LEAST 6 months before starting solids and then I do a little oatmeal or other whole grain. I only did purées with my youngest for maybe a month before I got tired of it and just gave her bits of my food - much easier.
He's probably growth spurting and will be back to normal soon.
ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:04 PM
I agree.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

If you're bfing the iron in the boxed cereals can inhibit the absorption of iron from your milk and cause baby to be anemic. Also the aap suggests waiting until closer to 6 months. 4 months is a growth spurt and he'll likely return to his normal feeding habits in a week or so. And rice cereal does not equal sleeping better. It can backfire! Big time!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bqt
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:24 PM

started feeding some rice cereal at 4 1/2 months. he loves it

kirstina
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:54 PM
I would put it off a few more months.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Nope. We never will offer rice cereal. It is bad for baby and not necessary.   Sounds like a growth spurt.  My baby only gets breastmilk for 6 months and then we introduce solids some.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

angela.bouchard
by Angela on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:09 AM

No. My son didn't like it and I don't think that it's necessary for them so I we only tried once or twice and we won't be offering with the next one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)