Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 mo in the hospital... getting blamed. Update~

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:49 AM
  • 29 Replies

My daughter is just a few days over three months old and the other night, monday night, she stopped breathing in her sleep and I found her purple. I had put her to sleep on her back and she was only out of my sight for maybe 20 minutes but within ear shot.
She was admitted and we have been in the hospital since. They have done so many scans, and tests. They have made it aparent by the questions and wording of questions asked to my mother and myself they think I tried to kill her. I cannot even fathom that thought. I dont know what to do besides keep taking care of her but when people are judging you it feels like you need to be perfect but thats impossible and I feel like a terrible mother.  

Update1: So we are still in the hospital. a nurse told me we may be getting discharged tomorrow after I talk to DHS.
A little more info... they still do not quite know for sure what caused her to stop breathing so they have diagnosed her with an ALTY [life altering event] but one doctor told me that infants with reflux have this happen sometimes. When they start to spit up instead of caughing they just stop breathing.  my daughter has reflux badly. she takes medicine for it twice a day.
She also tested positive on everything but she has an issue with her kidneys which they are monitoring. they think that may just be because she went without oxygen for a while which can damage the kidneys, as well as everything else. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RoseBud93
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:55 AM

bump

BobbieJo286
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Don't take it personal, they are just doing their jobs making sure they find out what is wrong with your baby. Don't stop being a mom, your child needs your love and comfort through this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Diamondblue1
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:04 AM

it's ok. doctors have to asks those types of questions to make sure the baby is in a safe enviornment. but it can be fustrating. when my son was little he burned himself and the hoispital asked me all sorts of questions and him. i hope your baby will be ok

wannabpregnant
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:13 AM
why did you leave her alone? jc
USMCwife0530
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:14 AM
That's so scary :-( sorry you're going through that. How's your dd doing? Can you give us an update?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous2u
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:18 AM
Seriously? Is she supposed to watch her 24/7. U do know mommys have to pee and eat too! Wow.

OP: I'm sure its standard questioning don't take it personal. My prayers are with u.

Quoting wannabpregnant:

Nolanzo
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:19 AM
You've never left your infant alone in a room for a nap? She didn't say she left the house!

Quoting wannabpregnant:

RoseBud93
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:58 AM

I had been with her all day in the same room so i went to do a little cleaning while she was napping.

Quoting wannabpregnant:

alandou
by April on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:59 AM

I'm confused. Aren't you supposed to leave your baby on their back to sleep?

RoseBud93
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:04 AM

yes you are. but because she has a small bruise on her head they think i tried to kill her. they asked my mom not what happened to her, but what did I do to her. hence the wording of questions making it clear they think i did this to her.
she also has reflux which she takes medicine for twice a day and this is common in infants with reflux. when the spit up starts to come up, instead of coughing they just stop breathing. [one of the nicer doctors told me this] 

Quoting alandou:

I'm confused. Aren't you supposed to leave your baby on their back to sleep?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)