Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Too bad there's no market for baby snot, cuz I'm up to it in my elbows.

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:32 AM
  • 9 Replies

She had a throat and ear infection two weeks ago, and that was her first sickness ever. She's 10 months old as of yesterday. She was, incredibly, in a BETTER mood than usual and slept at least as well as usual with the infections, but with the cold, she was up every hour or two, ALL NIGHT LONG. UGH! The first two or three times first I tried to get the booby in her mouth, cuz that usually works, when it didn't, I went out to the living room and bounced her  on the fitness ball and gave her the binky, which always works when nursing doesn't. She fought that, it was hard to get her back to sleep, but it finally worked. The third or fourth time I realized she was waking up, getting mad and refusing to go back to sleep because her nose was so stuffy she couldn't breathe through it, and therefore couldn't nurse and breathe at the same time.

So, then I took her to the bathroom, shut the door, turned on the shower on it's hottest setting to steam up the bathroom, wiped her nose with a warm wet washcloth, used the snot sucker to clear her nose then put some vasaline on her nose to prevent it from getting crusty again. Then I put vapo rub on her chest and nursed her back to sleep again.

I ended up having to repeat that process THREE TIMES before it was time to wake up. UGH! She got really mad and squirmy when I used the snot sucker.

Does anybody know any good remedies for a 10 month old so that hopefully tonight doesn't go like last night? I know babies are limited to what medications they can use. Dh actually wanted to give her Ny Quill!!! I told him that is NOT for babies!!! He read the label and said, "Oh, you're right." DUH!  but he's been fantasizing about a medication he could use to get her to sleep since the day she was born, lol.

ETA: I just went to Walgreens and got her a vaporizer with some vicks medicine to go into it, and some saline nose drops. I'm hoping that will help. As I suspected they didn't have anything like Benadryl or whatever for a baby under the age of two.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
loisl25
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:12 PM

BUMP!

crystalplus1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Try tiny cold tabs by hylands baby. It works good for my son when he has colds. Good luck, sick babies are no fun.

babygomez
by April on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:25 PM

A vaporizer and saline drops always helped give my daughter some relief. Hope your baby recovers soon!

loisl25
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Thanks. Do Walgreens and CVS have that?

Quoting crystalplus1:

Try tiny cold tabs by hylands baby. It works good for my son when he has colds. Good luck, sick babies are no fun.

abra
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:36 PM

this. ((hugs)) hang in there! 

Quoting babygomez:

A vaporizer and saline drops always helped give my daughter some relief. Hope your baby recovers soon!

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

crystalplus1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Yes they have it

Quoting loisl25:

Quoting crystalplus1:

angela.bouchard
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Unforunately, no. There's not much you can do with a sick infant. My son had a cold that lasted 3 days when he was 10 months old and he only slept about 10 minutes at a time :-/ it was terrible! Luckily it gets better as they get older. 

loisl25
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Cool! Thanks. Wish I'd seen it. I looked all over the baby care AND cold isles.

Quoting crystalplus1:

Yes they have it

Quoting loisl25:

Quoting crystalplus1:

crystalplus1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:38 PM

it can be hard to find. I would ask if they can find it for you. I think they have it around the other baby things.

Quoting loisl25:

Cool! Thanks. Wish I'd seen it. I looked all over the baby care AND cold isles.

Quoting crystalplus1:

Yes they have it

Quoting loisl25:

Quoting crystalplus1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)