Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

How to tell my mom I'm engaged

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:06 AM
  • 12 Replies
Im 18 and a month before my son was born his dad proposed to me and I said yes. I told my dad and we both agreed not to tell my mom because she still wasn't happy with bf. So we didn't but back in the beginning of our relationship he was my only friend and best friend but when I liked him my mom and me didn't have a good relationship and really didn't talk. But I saw when id agree with her and be annoyed with him we really did start talking more. Idk how to tell her about this and keep our relationship because I hate feeling like I have to choose between my mom and my best friend.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KenzieQsMommy
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Time to put the big girl panties on. You're an adult. You're mom may not always agree with your choices but she's your mon and she should support you.
I think she'd be more pissed you've kept it from her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirstina
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Just tell her. She will have to get over it if she wants to be part of your life.
OliviaW.
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Just tell her. You can beat around the bush and say that your bf was talking about getting married and see her reaction but I believe in the band-aid theory myself. 

lauratupper
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Just tell her. She may need some time to "get use" it, but it may upset her more the longer you keep it from her.

Hi_Rae
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this
"Mom. (Insert fiance's name here) and I are getting married!"
Sun_Shine_990
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Well I agree with everyone else if you want to tell her before you get married then just tell her... I do know how you feel though cuz before me and my dh got married my mom absolutely hated him... Me myself I kept the wedding from my mom until after me and dh got married. then I told her what we did, long story short.... and yeah she was pissed at first it took some time for it get over it but now me and my mom are closer than ever before... But yeah it's up to you, you are going to have to tell soon enough aren't you... ??? So think about which would be better for you to do, tell her now or wait til after and tell her then... up to you... good luck...

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:27 AM
This!

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Time to put the big girl panties on. You're an adult. You're mom may not always agree with your choices but she's your mon and she should support you.

I think she'd be more pissed you've kept it from her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by Abra on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I think the most straight forward way is probably the best. Just tell her your getting married. I told my parents that I'd like for them to be involved, but if they could not be excited for me and supportive, then I would go ahead and do it without their involvement. 

Mrs.Bolin
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:05 PM

You know what? Its your life. You are now a grown women. She can get the heck on over it. Just tell her. She is your mother and she is soposed to be there for you no matter what

Amberleigh81
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:09 PM
"Mom, I'm engaged."

Big girl panties. Being an adult means acting like one. :)

Btw, I started dating my husband at 18 and was engaged at 19... my parents weren't thrilled because of my age, but I never even considered their opinion on my love life. My husband and I have been together for 14 years, married for 10 this July (WOW!), and my parents adore him for the MAN he is! :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN