• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking of Using cloth diapers

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:16 PM
  • 9 Replies
So lately I been thinking about cloth diapers cuz my LO keeps getting red marks on thighs and bottom, I went up a size still same redness, changing diaper brands still same redness... I stay home every single day no where to go, miles well save money and use washer & dryer, :)

Tell me about cloth diapers; cleaning poop? Washing? How many should I carry with me going out? Storage? What are liners what are snap liners and the cloth diaper. Tell me everything about them. Cuz I have not a single clue how use them. step by step.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lauratupper
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Join cuties with cloth booties...they can give you tons of info.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/34752/?ct=search_group

pinkiebabii
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:46 PM
There are many different types like pockets, ai1, ai2, etc.
I use prefolds with covers. I breastfeed so I just stick the diapers in the washing machine. When I go out I take two extra covers and one prefold for every hour I'll be gone. I put poppy diapers in a grocery bag. I just have them in a pile in my closet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jacylove
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Howdo u clean poopy diapers?

Quoting pinkiebabii:

I use prefolds with covers. I breastfeed so I just stick the diapers in the washing machine. When I go out I take two extra covers and one prefold for every hour I'll be gone. I put poppy diapers in a grocery bag. I just have them in a pile in my closet.
pinkiebabii
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:52 PM
The washing machine does it. He poops still aren't solid so they just go straight to the washer.
If he had solid poop if shake off what I could in the toilet then put it in the washer.

Quoting Jacylove:

Howdo u clean poopy diapers?

Quoting pinkiebabii:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emilyelephant
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:55 PM

The cloth diapering groups are really helpful, I just ordered some and am excited to try them! You can clean poopy diapers with a diaper sprayer that attaches to the toilet, or when the poop is more solid, you can just easily dump it out in the toilet.  The ones I ordered you wash in cold water and line dry.  Carry as many as you think you need while going out.  We will most likely use disposables in the diaper bag especially for stays and grandma's.  I've read that you should not use any diaper creams or lotions with cloth diapers, because they don't come out of the cloth and ruin the absorbancy.  We are buying One size (adjust to fit with snaps) pocket diapers (there is a pocket in the inside where you put a liner that absorbs the liquids.  Brands are kind of trial and error.  I bought some off Ebay for really really cheap to see if I'll stick with it before I get the more expensive ones.  You can also get them cheap on craigslist and people usually have a variety of brands.

abra
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:56 PM

yeah, that could be a latex sensitivity. Honestly, cloth diapers are a pain to clean unless you have a diaper service, but that can get pricey. I usually carried 3 at any given time on my bag. I just did a load of laundry every day with only diapers in them because I couldn't stand the smell of them (Even sitting in a diaper pail). 

But they are definitely worth it for some folks. I used them until I had 2 babies in diapers and then it was just too much to keep up with.  I really liked the Happy Heiny AIOs. 

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

Firenygirl180
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:02 PM
I just started using them. I have a few prefolds and 2 covers and about 14 pocket diapers. I use disposables first thing in the morning because ds always poops right after breakfast and it is always mushy. If he poops later in the day it is usually solid.

I have bum genius one size pockets and so far i really like them. Ds is 19 months and 26 lbs. If he poops in the cloth i just dump it in the toilet and rinse if necessary.

The cloth diaper groups on here are great. I bought some used diapers from a momma in there for pretty cheap and they came in great condition.

You really just have to try done out and make the decision. Yesterday was day 3 for me of exclusively using cloth, I've used 4 disposables total, and i was almost ready to give it up. Come April i will have 2 in diapers and I'm not going to give in that easily.
When we go to town i take 2 disposables and 3-4 cloth depending on howlong we will be gone for. Ds needs to be changed about every 2 hours with only one insert. He has gone 13 hours at night with 2 inserts and no leaks.
-Mommy-2-Three-
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:25 PM

We use cloth diapers, pockets or AIO................now days its much different then people realize, the diapers are cute & waterproof & easy & have snaps (velcro i dont like). We had 2 in diapers (newborn & 17m) when we first started so we bought a stash of 50 diapers & then bought 3 wet bags (upstairs, downstairs & diaper bag) for the dirty diapers. We also bought rolls of flushable/biodegradable liners so the poop isn't a big deal we just toss it in the toilet. We also bought special detergant that wont hurt the waterproof fabric. Also dont use fabric softener on them otherwise they arnt as absorbant ;)

I am a neat freak (OCD) and like anti-mess everything so if I can do cloth diapers then literally ANYONE can lol.

ebay

amazon.com/Thirsties-Wrap-Snap-Blackbird-Size

amazon.com/FuzziBunz

amazon.com/Kawaii-Baby-One-Size-Closure-Pocket

amazon.com/Rockin-Green-Classic-Naked-Babies (detergant)

amazon.com/Planet-Wise-Diaper-Wet-Bag (wet bag)

amazon.com/bumGenius-BumGenius-4-0-Diaper-Lovelace

amazon.com/Elite-FuzziBunz-Cloth-Diaper-Apple

amazon.com/Bumkins-All-In-One-Cloth-Diaper-Blue

amazon.com/Happy-Heinys-Closure-Microfiber-Hibiscus

amazon.com/Blueberry-Size-Deluxe-Snaps-Owls

amazon.com/GroVia-All-One-Cloth-Diaper

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM
I highly recommend Sunbaby pockets. They are really affordable and they work great! A pocket diaper is a cover with a pocket you "stuff" with absorbent pads.

Since your baby is only a month you'll need need at least 24($108 at Sunbaby.) You will need to wash every other day. Breastfed baby poop washes out easily in the wash so you don't have to rinse but formula poo is sticky. Once you start solids you dump poop in the toilet and rinse covers. I use a diaper pail I already had to keep dirty diapers in but a storage tote or garbage can with a tight fitting lid will work. For pockets you pull the insert out and put the cover and insert in the pail so you can dump it into the washing machine.

Use a detergent free of dyes and perfumes. I use homemade.

Prewash cold to avoid stains. Wash on hot. Dry on low. About once a month you'll want to strip; this is
how I do it:
I prewash the inserts on hot with white vinegar. Add the covers prewash with vinegar. Wash on longest cycle on hot with detergent and second rinse. Dry on low.

I would take 4-6 when you go out with baby.

Quoting Jacylove:

So lately I been thinking about cloth diapers cuz my LO keeps getting red marks on thighs and bottom, I went up a size still same redness, changing diaper brands still same redness... I stay home every single day no where to go, miles well save money and use washer & dryer, :)

Tell me about cloth diapers; cleaning poop? Washing? How many should I carry with me going out? Storage? What are liners what are snap liners and the cloth diaper. Tell me everything about them. Cuz I have not a single clue how use them. step by step.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)