Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why did the age for solids change..

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:04 PM
  • 6 Replies
When my first ds was a baby I was was told to start giving solids at 4 mounths.. With this pregnancy I have seen it now recomends to start giving solids at 6 months why has it changed
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Yurixsi
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Bump.
abra
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I'm not sure. I usually wait until I start seeing cues from baby that they are ready (around 6 months). Personally, I would be concerned about baby's ability to digest earlier. 

polkaspots
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Research changed. People used to think that breastmilk was just good for baby until they can start to eat real food. Now they know breastmilk has so much more nutritional value than other things you can give a baby. Cereal is also on its way out as a first food due to research showing that infants can't digest it properly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Because introducing solids before a child has all the signs of readiness (which is usually around six months), increases the chances of obesity, celiac, allergies, and diabetes. The signs of readiness are loss of the tongue thrust reflex, being able to sit up UNPROPPED, having an interest in food and having the pincer grasp. Once these milestones are ALL met, then the baby is less likely to have an open gut (an open gut means everything that goes into baby's stomach goes directly into the blood stream). : ) An open gut also means baby cannot digest solids properly. 

HERE is more info. : )  

lauratupper
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:41 PM

new research

kirstina
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Research has changed. My dd wasn't really eating solids everyday until 9 months or so.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)