Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to do in a car accident with an infant?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:17 PM
  • 6 Replies

I've only bee in one car accident, when I was 17, and it was very minor.  The other person called the police and their insurance company, and it was the other person's fault, so I have very, very little experience with accidents.

I'm always afraid I'll get in an accident with my daughter in the car, but the snow we've had lately is making me even more fearful.

If I were to get in a minor accident, I'm sure she would cry out of fear, but she of course wouldn't be able to tell me if she were hurt.  Would I request an ambulance along with the police?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
abra
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:11 PM

It would depend on the type of crash. One of my kids was in a minor car accident, but she didn't cry. She thought it was fun! She was safely restrained in her carseat so we checked her eyes and limbs and response time. The next day we took her to a chiropractor to make sure her spine and neck were alright.  I'm not sure about more major accidents. Bump! 

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

iansmommy9
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Depends on the circumstances of the accident like the speed, amount of damage or point of impact. The most important thing is to keep her in the car seat if you think she's been hurt.

My son was involved in a minor fender bender when he was about 7 months old and he slept through it. A lady rear ended my FIL at a stop light. He didn't need an ambulance or to even go to the pedi.

abra
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:48 PM

bump

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:51 PM
I'd personally alert the cops no matter what. Even if baby isn't hurt, you should still have it on file for your insurance because carseats MUST be replaced after any sort of accident.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandapanda82
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:53 PM
I was just in one- we were all fine- the guy kept going at a red light. I got all his info and the girls stayed right there in the car while I did that and we left. I took them to their pedi later to get em checked.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emilyelephant
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I meant along with the police, like when we called the police asking an abulance to come as well.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

I'd personally alert the cops no matter what. Even if baby isn't hurt, you should still have it on file for your insurance because carseats MUST be replaced after any sort of accident.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)