Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much food to introduce to my baby at first?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:32 PM
  • 21 Replies

I was planning on waiting 6 months, but my daughter has been so fussy and puney nursing. My mother bought her one of the "Ellas's Kitchen" Organic first food pouches for 4 months and up(as labeled). My daughter absolutely loved it. She was sucking on that thing like a bottle and grabbing at it like she was starved! I took it away and she started fussing and opening her mouth, shaking her head back and forth. I'm scared to give her more. I googled it and it said that the baby will let you know, but she almost finished that 3.5 oz pouch and has never ate anything, but bananas twice. She's 4 1/2 months. 17 lbs. Her pedi approved it. How much should I give her?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:38 PM

None.  She's too young... her behavior means nothing, it's about what her digestive system is ready for.

Fussy nursing is the halmark of a 4 month old... it's supply regulation time, she's got to get used to a normal supply. 

If you insist on giving solids, then stay away from the pouches they suck from.   They aren't supposed to suck solids, they're supposed to chew them.    Slice up ripe pear or baked sweet potato.

Eliots_momma
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:40 PM
This! I would wait until 6 months to do anymore solids.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

None.  She's too young... her behavior means nothing, it's about what her digestive system is ready for.

Fussy nursing is the halmark of a 4 month old... it's supply regulation time, she's got to get used to a normal supply. 

If you insist on giving solids, then stay away from the pouches they suck from.   They aren't supposed to suck solids, they're supposed to chew them.    Slice up ripe pear or baked sweet potato.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Your pedi gave you old, innacurate and unsafe information! Per AAP and WHO guidelines, the earliest a baby should consume something other than breast milk or formula is six months. Babies under six months have an open gut, which means germs go directly from their stomach to their blood stream. This could be very dangerous for such an under-developed immune system. It is also a big reason babies develop food allergies if foods are introduced before six months. Studies also show that babies who have solids before six months are more likely to become diabetic and obese. The AAP guidelines changed nearly two years ago.

AAP guidelines on introduction of solids

Solids before a year, really are just for exploring and fun- they are supposed to receive their nutrion through breast milk or formula at this point.

• Baby can sit up well without support.
  • Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
  • Baby is ready and willing to chew.
  • Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
  • Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.

Why delay solids?

What solids to introduce.

louzannalady
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Also, keep in mind, breast milk has more calories than anything you could possible feed her! It has the fats she needs and is perfect for her body. Feeding her solids at this point, will interfere with your supply and will interfere with her ability to absorb all of the nutrients in your breast milk. At four months, she is having a growth spurt and could possibly be teething. She will be fussy and nursing a lot, to build your supply. If you do not have her nursing on demand and supplement with solids or formula, your supply will likely tank. 

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:52 PM
This!! And all of what the ladies above also said. :)

Quoting louzannalady:

Also, keep in mind, breast milk has more calories than anything you could possible feed her! It has the fats she needs and is perfect for her body. Feeding her solids at this point, will interfere with your supply and will interfere with her ability to absorb all of the nutrients in your breast milk. At four months, she is having a growth spurt and could possibly be teething. She will be fussy and nursing a lot, to build your supply. If you do not have her nursing on demand and supplement with solids or formula, your supply will likely tank. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsKoolaidPunk
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Thanks for the info. It's definitely making me reconsider. Now I am worried!! :(

Quoting louzannalady:

louzannalady
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:08 PM

*hug* *reassuring chuckle and smile* I could tell you STORIES of things I did with my first child! I had no CLUE!!! My mother used to joke that the first born is the guinea pig... I thought, that she was just teasing me as her first child. Then, I had kids! Lol! Now, I know, it's true! We learn better or different and then we act accordingly! : ) You can't know what you don't know until you do! ; ) 

Quoting MrsKoolaidPunk:

Thanks for the info. It's definitely making me reconsider. Now I am worried!! :(

Quoting louzannalady:

mandapanda82
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:15 PM
My dds been acting the same way (5 months as of yesterday) she gets mad when were eating cuz she's not getting any! She WANTS food, but she's not ready, cuz when I gave her some purreed broccoli and avocado she spit it out cuz she still has that spit up reflex that babies have- ( I forgot what it's called?) so I figure she can wait one more month, or maybe more- she'll be ready when she's ready!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SaraSnider
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Idk but i just started giving my 4 month old single grain oatmeal cereal mixed with breast milk. He loved it but really wasn't much cereal in it. I'm starting now even though i know all the new info. I plan on maybe doing it once a day every 3 days for a while.
He gets maybe 2 or 3 bites in him but its more for play right now.
I also always nurse right before.
mandapanda82
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:25 PM
I put organic rice cereal in a few of my lo's bottle for her reflux.

Quoting SaraSnider:

Idk but i just started giving my 4 month old single grain oatmeal cereal mixed with breast milk. He loved it but really wasn't much cereal in it. I'm starting now even though i know all the new info. I plan on maybe doing it once a day every 3 days for a while.

He gets maybe 2 or 3 bites in him but its more for play right now.

I also always nurse right before.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)