Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Car seat help please :)

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:29 AM
  • 19 Replies

Poll

Question: which would you get for your 10 month old?

Options:

Forward facing car seat

Rear facing car seat

It's your personal choice.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 25

View Results

Heya ladies, I had posted this in another group. just to let ya know. Anyways, my 10 month old son out grew his first car seat. Now I'm not sure which kind to get. FF or RF. So please take the poll and tell me why you said which one you'd chose. 

I'm a belly dancing and sword fighting mama of 2. I'm married to my high school sweet heart. I plan on enlisting to the army very soon, and having more kids :)

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM

At 10 months the baby should still be rear facing, My 19 month old is still rearfacing and she's at the 90% tile for height and weight.

gcstar42
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

A 10 month old HAS to be rear facing. The law says they must be at least 1 yr old AND 20lbs. However the recommendation is now 2 yrs old and 30 lbs or as long as your child is under your carseats limits for rear facing. I have a 3 1/2 yr old who is still rear facing because she is so small. There are tons of convertible carseats that can be both rear facing and forward facing though, so you can buy one to use rear facing for now and when your child is ready can turn it forward facing.

PrOuDaRmYWiF08
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this
If you get a convertible car seat it can be rear facing and then turned forward facing. 10 months is too early to turn forward facing, the law is at least 1 year old. And even then, the safest thing is to wait until 2+ to turn FF.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tyrelsmom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Rearfacing. It's your only legal choice, not to mention how dangerous it is to put a 10 month old forward facing.
How much does he weigh, and what size onesies does he wear? We might be able to help you pick out a good one.
Jaxsonsmama2009
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:34 AM
You need a convertible carseat that will rearface a while longer, then turn forward facing. You CANT turn them now, and SHOULDNT turn them anytime soon.
tyrelsmom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is off the charts in height, and 90th percentile in weight, and is riding rearfacing at 13 months.
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

At 10 months old it is not only unsafe, but it is illegal for him to forward face if you live in the US.  Every state has a proper usage/appropriate restraint clause, and every seat in the US states that to forward face you must be BOTH 20lbs and 1 year of age to use them.

To back that up, it is 500% safer for toddlers/preschoolers under 4 to rear face, and the AAP recommends a minimum of 2 years AND 30lbs, preferably the highest weight/height limit of a CONVERTIBLE car seat (which faces both rear and forward)

from my blog: http://apbandme.blogspot.com/2012/04/car-seats.html

http://myangelsaliandpeanut.tripod.com/id5.html

Is rearfacing when rear ended still safer? Yes it is!

For one thing, only 4% of accidents are rear or rear-offset, two, the head is still further from any point of impact and three, most rear end accidents happen at much lower speeds.

(the above link is one of my favorites for doubters and those who think getting rear ended is a huge risk to rearfacing children)

MommySwiggles
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM
The American academy of pediatrics recommends rear facing until 2 and 30 pounds or until the child reaches the limits of their convertible seat.
novachick
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Like everyone else said legally & for safety purposes he should remain rfing as long as possible. My dd is a giant. She rf'd till 3&1/2 when she outgrew the tallest rfing seat on the market so I had to put her ffing. I would always keep my kids rfing as long as possible because it has been proven to be 500x's safer :) my 2&1/2 yr old dd is a little thing and will be rfing for a very very long time.
emilyelephant
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Babies should be rear facing until 1 year at the minimum, it's safer, and illegal to have them forward facing at that age. Even after the minimum one year, it's still safer to have them rear facing as long as you can.

Get a convertable car seat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)