Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What could be upsetting my newborns stomach?

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM
  • 15 Replies

During the first two weeks, my baby didn't seem to have any problems with keeping down breastmilk.

Now it's as if all of the sudden the past few days she is spitting up/vomiting? (smells like puke) quite a bit a few times a day.

Is this normal, or is there something I could be doing or eating that is upsetting her stomach?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
keversole
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I would call your pediatrician. I don't think that's normal espacially for BF babies

keversole
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:52 PM

especially

MommySwiggles
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Try eliminating dairy from your diet. That seems to be the most common allergen. It will take about 2 weeks for you to notice a difference.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Maddies_Mommy10
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:54 PM

When I was breastfeeding I had to cut dairy and drink soy milk...call a pediatrician

Mom_to_Lincoln
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Have you had a change in your diet or ate drank anything with alcohol in it? It could be something in you diet or it could be just a case of acid reflux. I would ask this question in the Breastfeeding group and see what they say! Good luck.

Bethbeth
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM

does she seem upset after she spits up? does she cry in pain?

if she is not upset by it, it should be normal and nothing to worry about. If she is crying because of it, it could be reflux. and yes, it can be normal for reflux to start later when it wasn't present at birth.

jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I agree

Sometimes babies just spit up because their digestive system is immature. If your baby isn't in pain or projectile vomiting, it might just be a phase she will grow out of.  I think they call them "happier spitters" lol.

Quoting Bethbeth:

does she seem upset after she spits up? does she cry in pain?

if she is not upset by it, it should be normal and nothing to worry about. If she is crying because of it, it could be reflux. and yes, it can be normal for reflux to start later when it wasn't present at birth.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Dairy or caffeine could be causing that.

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM
My son has issues if I have more than one small serving of dairy or anything with caffeine. Usually just happy spit up followed by crankiness about twenty minutes later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahsmommy508
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:39 PM
there is a nast stomacg bug going around, but im not real sure, heres a bump!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)