Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how bad is cow milk for a 7 month old?

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:20 PM
  • 10 Replies
i know that i cant give dd a bottle or cup of it but what about a bite of my cereal with milk on it? is that bad too?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirstina
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM
I think its fine to give them small amounts in food or with cereal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Not something I would do. But if it's in tiny amounts, it's really up to you I guess.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetmomma326
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I had to switch both of my children to whole cows milk by 6 months, they would spit up severely with formula.  I breast fed my youngest for a month but had lactation issues so I had to stop.  I bought these vitamin drops by Enfamil for their milk, and they are both happy healthy kids.  I don't think it is too bad for them, my children don't have any issues with it.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM
It's actually extremely dangerous. Cows milk can cause intestinal bleeding and anemia. It can also cause malnourishment because despite what others think, it's not very nutritious, definitely not enough for a baby under a year. Count yourself lucky mama. Hopefully when your kids are grown adults, they won't have any negative affects.

Quoting sweetmomma326:

I had to switch both of my children to whole cows milk by 6 months, they would spit up severely with formula.  I breast fed my youngest for a month but had lactation issues so I had to stop.  I bought these vitamin drops by Enfamil for their milk, and they are both happy healthy kids.  I don't think it is too bad for them, my children don't have any issues with it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetmomma326
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I was just doing what the pediatrician told me to do.  It has helped them, but I didn't know about all of that.  She never told me about something that serious.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

It's actually extremely dangerous. Cows milk can cause intestinal bleeding and anemia. It can also cause malnourishment because despite what others think, it's not very nutritious, definitely not enough for a baby under a year. Count yourself lucky mama. Hopefully when your kids are grown adults, they won't have any negative affects.

Quoting sweetmomma326:

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I wouldn't. I only give breastmilk for the first year with very little solids.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

hippiemamax3
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM
I know adult twins whose mom fed them cows milk exclusively as babies. One has Crohns disrase and the other Colitis that could progress to Crohns.

Quoting sweetmomma326:

I was just doing what the pediatrician told me to do.  It has helped them, but I didn't know about all of that.  She never told me about something that serious.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Quoting sweetmomma326:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2OWL
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I've read some babies can tolerate it as early as four months but it's safe to just wait until 12 months. I also know someone who's baby couldn't tolerate  breast milk or formula and the pediatrician told her to her baby whole milk as a newborn. Her daughter is 32 and she's just fine. I think it depends on the baby. I'd definitely talk to the pediatrician before giving any.

Nicki1995
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I have been giving my daughter small bites of cereal that i eat (she is 10 months), but i usually eat dry cereal. When i dont, it has soy milk though because i am lactose intolerant. She hasnt had much, but she likes soy milk lol She tasted cow's milk, but it didnt do too well with her yet. That was when she was 9 months. I give her foods that have milk in them and she is fine though. I definitely wouldnt give a lot, especially since whole milk has a lot of sugars in it.

stargaze281
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:19 PM

when my ds was an infant i fed him formula till he turned 1 year. I gradually switched him to organic whole milk after he turned 1. He now still drinks whole milk, but I love to add organic baby cereal to his milk too. :-) My ds did have a sensitive tummy, so I chose similac sensitive as his formula. Did you ever try this brand?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)