Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Help us get some sleep! Please?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:16 AM
  • 11 Replies

Ok so I'll try to make this quick:

We all had the flu last week and it seems that since then our son has reverted back to horrible sleep patterns.  He will be 6 months on the 13th and he will not sleep for more than about 45 minutes at night.  He usually naps just fine during the day.  Will someone please tell me what the hell could be going on???

*I mentioned the flu because as a result of it, he has an ear infection but his ped said that was not the cause of his sudden waking*

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cowgirls10181
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this
The ear infection is the cause! Do you have a swing, bouncer, stroller? Something he can safely sleep in? Try upright. Dd only sleeps upright when she gets ear infections or she wakes frequently from the annoying pain in the ears. Happy sleeping.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Pedi is a wacko if he thinks an ear infection isn't going to bother a 6 month old. 6 months is also a huge growth spurt and sleep regression, so what he's doing is common for his age. It DOES pass mama. Sticking to a good routine really helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frankiesma530
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I was asking him specifically if that was the cause and he said no!  smh.  I knew that just had to be some b.s.   He did, however, tell us not to co-sleep and to let him cio.  I think it might be time to interview more pediatricians.

lauratupper
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Ear infections are painful!!! My ds had the same thing recently, the flu and an ear infection, he didn't sleep very well and was very cranky when he was awake.

expectantmom81
by Erin on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
It is probably the ears but could also be teething. I would do Tylenol before bed, lift the head of his mattress so he isn't laying flat, try a little less napping, and I would try letting him cry for a few minutes before going in to check him so you can see if he goes back to sleep. Sometimes ds will cry during the night and if I wait 5-10 minutes he goes right back out. Hope he is feeling better soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alaanasmommy
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:42 AM

gas maybe or just needs comfort maybe try rocking him to sleep then laying him down

Marimaru
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Your pedi sounds like a moron, sorry.  The ear infection would totally be the reason, and I can't believe he would recommend cio for a sick baby!

NoahsCoolMama
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:02 PM

He may be teething on top of the ear infection. Ear infections are very painful and are really painful if they are teething. Just keep at the routine and give him pain meds for the pain for both ear infection and the teething.

frankiesma530
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM

thank you.  And our ped told us to give him a small dose of motrin or tylenol before bed and that hasn't helped so i'm going to stop doing it.  I don't want to dose him unnecessarily.  I'm going to try to lift the mattress a bit tonight. Thanks.

Quoting expectantmom81:

It is probably the ears but could also be teething. I would do Tylenol before bed, lift the head of his mattress so he isn't laying flat, try a little less napping, and I would try letting him cry for a few minutes before going in to check him so you can see if he goes back to sleep. Sometimes ds will cry during the night and if I wait 5-10 minutes he goes right back out. Hope he is feeling better soon.

frankiesma530
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I would have to agree with you on that.   Me and hubby have no intentions on letting him cio for more than a minute or two even though he' s feeling better other than the ear infection.  We are going to look into the ped that took care of him in the er and see if she has an office nearby. 

Quoting Marimaru:

Your pedi sounds like a moron, sorry.  The ear infection would totally be the reason, and I can't believe he would recommend cio for a sick baby!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN