Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Constant Diaper Rash?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:28 AM
  • 9 Replies

I have a 3 month old daughter, Charlotte, who is EBF.  Since she was about 3 weeks old she has had this persistant diaper rash.  At first I thought it was wipes... I got a million different kinds at my babyshower and it became worse with the Huggies Natural Care wipes, so I stopped using those and switched to the hospital dry wipes for a few days to get it better.  However, no matter what type of wipes I use it's still there. It's not HORRIBLE, it's just red but it's there.  I've tried every type of wipe I can find.  I've also tried using the hopsital dry wipes and using cloth wipes as well.  I've switched diaper brands as well and have tried 6 different brands and no change.  I let her air out after every diaper change for at least 5 minutes (except for at night...) and she is changed 2 hours AT THE MOST because of the rash.  I also put diaper cream on every change.  The only cream I've tried that's kept it just red, instead of being bad, is A&D ointment.  I've also tried desitin, johnson&johnson, butt paste, a dollar general brand, and something else a friend had. 

I've asked my pedi about this and she said she thought it was just from the extra moisture and to try baby powder.  I know that this isn't recommended to use so i asked her about it and she said as long as you put a little in your hand (away from babies face) and gently pat it on the skin that she should be fine.)  I tried that for a total of 16 hours before her rash became worse. It was raised and bumpy so I stopped using it.  I called her back and she said just to keep doing what I'm doing and she will see her at her 4 month appointment!

It doesn't seem to bug her very often, but sometimes it does and I'd really like to know if anyone has any advice as to what I could try to make this go away instead of just keeping it down.  

Thanks in advance!

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Marimaru
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Try changing things in your diet.  It sounds like maybe she's mildly alergic to something you are eating.

mandapanda82
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Idk fortunately my dds never had one yet. I hope your Lo's Bum feel s better soon!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LongBeachLiz
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM
There's a few things.
1. Could be yeast and I would try athletes foot cream. You can mix it with diaper cream or put it on straight.
2. Allergy to the diaper (there are a lot of chemicals in there).
3. Allergy to something you are eating like dairy or wheat.
Raeann11
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:24 PM

These are good idea's

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

There's a few things.
1. Could be yeast and I would try athletes foot cream. You can mix it with diaper cream or put it on straight.
2. Allergy to the diaper (there are a lot of chemicals in there).
3. Allergy to something you are eating like dairy or wheat.

My third had a constant diaper rash. We tried athletes foot cream and it would ease it up a bit. Changed my diet and watched what she ate when she started. That did nothing. She is also a cloth diapered baby. Well come down to it. She just has sensitive skin like mommy and has to be changed every 2-3 hours and if she is not she gets a rash. She has to have a dirty diaper changed right away or she has a rash.

At nigth for her I found that I have to use a diboslibe liner in her cloth diaper and use aqulphor at night. Then she doesn't get a rash at night. I just couldn't keep waking her up every 2-3 hours. I had such a cry little one. She as not getting proper sleep.

So after all this. It could also be sensitive  skin and have to change her earlier.

Mdmooch
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:27 PM
My little guy had terrible diaper rash around the same time. His butt was bleeding and nothing would work. He is EBF. I found this stuff called Triple Paste and used it.. After the first application it started clearing up. It was like a miracle cream. He hasn't had diaper rash since. Hope you find something to work for your little one.
Mdmooch
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM
After I changed him I would also leave his diaper off for a little while so the area could get some air. I even took the hair dryer and put it on the cold setting and stood a few feet away with it and blew it on the infected area after I changed him. He actually seemed to like that.
kbutton24
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Does she have thrush? It can be caused by yeast. 

xReinvention
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I've thought about trying cloth diapers, but I don't have a washer/dryer and don't know if I'd get laundry done enough to be able to.  I am thinking about getting enough to try it for a while and see if it makes a difference.  I tried eliminating dairy for a while before my appointment with the pedi, but she said she didn't think it was an allergy to anything (no tests or any other suggestions to cut out though, maybe I could try wheat.) I haven't tried the triple paste, I may have to find some and see if it makes a difference.  

Kbutton24 - When I mentioned the rash to my pedi I asked her about thrush, but she never said if it was/wasn't thrush.  She checked in her mouth (Honestly, I don't know if she was looking for thrush or if it's not in the mouth if that means it's not it for sure or what though) and didn't say she had it.  I plan on asking her again at her 4 month appointment if I try other things and it's still not gone. 

I think I'll try cutting out wheat for a while, since I'd already tried dairy for a few weeks, and see if that helps.  Is there anything else that is common for little ones to be allergic to I could try?

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:13 PM

My DD kept getting diaper rashes. We had to switch to cloth. Her skin is super sensitive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)