Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

A reflux/eczema question

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son has reflux, eczema and a dairy sensitivity (we know this because when we first introduced yogurt and cheese his nose ran mucous, his face swelled etc.). It's common for breastfeeding moms to remove dairy when baby has reflux. I *mostly* removed dairy about a month ago but still had a little bit of cheese once or twice a month, and I cooked with regular butter (which wasn't a lot). I've been completely dairy free for two weeks. We also recently removed gluten from my 2yo's diet, and at the recommendation of her OT (she has sensory processing disorder) I went gluten free as well in hopes that it would help his reflux and eczema.

I know these things take time to show any results, but it's sooooo frustrating!!

Now the problem...

In the last few weeks, my 10mo DS has started sleeping TERRIBLY. Some nights he keeps my breast in his mouth most of the night (we cosleep and breastfeed). Not a comfortable way to sleep. He's been waking up around 4:00 am and just crying/screaming. He eventually stops but nothing I try to do helps. He sleeps fitfully until around 7:00-7:30. He goes to bed around 8:30 btw.

Going to sleep, he takes forever and ever to finally drift off. He scratches so much. He has spots that are raw. I've tried natural and prescription remedies. Nothing gets rid of it. I'm hoping the gluten/dairy free helps but who knows how long that's going to take. All I know is it's freaking HARD to maintain this way of eating!

What could be causing all this?? I'm tired of treating the reflux/eczema symptoms. There has to be a cure for the problem.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LongBeachLiz
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:05 PM
http://wellnessmama.com/5062/7-natural-baby-care-recipes/

Calendula and chamomile is great for sensitive baby skin and is said to help with eczema. You can make an infused oil with those and put the oil.on the spots or make lotion with it.

I made the lotion bars for myself with just the basic ingredients and it was great.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LongBeachLiz
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:08 PM
There could be other allergies like egg. Also could your lo be teething?
Reflux are they on medicine? Never let the belly get empty, lots of little meals. If it's bad at night prop their head up a bit.
LongBeachLiz
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Another idea if natural doesn't work would be.hydrocortisone cream.
Lottie925
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Does your dr. Give you an antacid or him? Mine was like that. It was horrible. Nightly screaming bloody murder. What helped was switching his script to omeperazole AND, allowed over the counter gaviscon. 1.5 ml 4 times a dy. it finally allowed his esophagus to heal! It neutralizes stomach acid so the esophagus can not burn, heal, and strengthen! What is more? It calmed him in a matter of 10 minutes.

ask about gaviscon. It's similar maalox etc. 

Lottie925
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM

For the skin my dr recommends.

a. Only bathe every other day. 

B. keep baths sshortcut. Don't use regular soap. Use cetaphil cleanser or the whole body. It's a gentle hypoallergenic facial cleanser. The moisturizer too.

c. I use aqua phone on the bad spots,it moisturizers and protects. 

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN