Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies
I had my baby girl on jan 31 and u want to breastfeed... So I got out the breast pump and started pumping... Well I need to know how long I should pump? I have never done this and am not sure as to how long to do this lol... But I really want her breast feed... I have not tried with her cause I was just going to bottle feed but if I can do this u really want to... I couldn't not breast feed my son and was very heart broken about it I never produced milk but I feel like I can do it this time... Any advice is appreciated thanks!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Replies (31-33):
jridgill
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:14 PM
I never did well with a pump. My kids always got the breast. Bump!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Blue_Spiral
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:16 AM

No, the opposite is true. A good latch should NOT hurt for more than a few seconds.

For me, latching never hurt at all, even at first, so it is possible for there to be no pain at all during breastfeeding.

Quoting Dakotasmomma12:

I put her to the breast and I am sure she latched good because it hurts

Quoting hapababies:

Can you tell us what happens when you put her to your breast? Does she try to latch? Does it hurt?

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Holy crap!! You have an oversupply!! Seriously, put her on your boob and leave her there. You have PLENTY of milk, pumps aren't even HALF as efficient as babies! Offer her the breast before any signs of hunger. Waiting until she's crying is waiting too late. Take your shirt off and undress her and lay skin to skin as much as you can. No need to keep pumping, you have milk, and lots of it!
Quoting Dakotasmomma12:

I have not tried her latching on yet. She has been on the bottle since se was born as I M kinda worried she will have trouble latching... I have pumped twice in 3 hours ad have gotten about 6 ounces. For just starting today I feel like that's pretty good right???

Quoting MixedCooke:

you want to breastfeed her but you havent tried getting her to latch?  Or you just want to pump?  Well I loved my MEDELA electric double pump and would knock ot both in 15 minutes, 20 minutes maximum.  FENUGREEK increased my milk supply to the point that I had over 40 ounces in the freezer and was looking to donate my excess.  Adding a little saliva around the pump suction/breast helped for better suction.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:59 AM

This was me and my youngest son. Didn't hurt at all. Until my nipples got a little dry. Putting the proper lotion on them helped that though. Then I dried up.

Had to go to formula. I was heartbroken. Felt like a failure as a mom. Took a while to get past that.

Quoting Blue_Spiral:

No, the opposite is true. A good latch should NOT hurt for more than a few seconds.

For me, latching never hurt at all, even at first, so it is possible for there to be no pain at all during breastfeeding.

Quoting Dakotasmomma12:

I put her to the breast and I am sure she latched good because it hurts

Quoting hapababies:

Can you tell us what happens when you put her to your breast? Does she try to latch? Does it hurt?

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Holy crap!! You have an oversupply!! Seriously, put her on your boob and leave her there. You have PLENTY of milk, pumps aren't even HALF as efficient as babies! Offer her the breast before any signs of hunger. Waiting until she's crying is waiting too late. Take your shirt off and undress her and lay skin to skin as much as you can. No need to keep pumping, you have milk, and lots of it!
Quoting Dakotasmomma12:

I have not tried her latching on yet. She has been on the bottle since se was born as I M kinda worried she will have trouble latching... I have pumped twice in 3 hours ad have gotten about 6 ounces. For just starting today I feel like that's pretty good right???

Quoting MixedCooke:

you want to breastfeed her but you havent tried getting her to latch?  Or you just want to pump?  Well I loved my MEDELA electric double pump and would knock ot both in 15 minutes, 20 minutes maximum.  FENUGREEK increased my milk supply to the point that I had over 40 ounces in the freezer and was looking to donate my excess.  Adding a little saliva around the pump suction/breast helped for better suction.

wedding countdown

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN