Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Silk Soy milk with added DHA with Enfamil vitamin drops for infants...

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:30 PM
  • 18 Replies

My 8 month old son can not tolerate any type of formula, and his dr told me to put him on whole milk but after reading what it can do to a child later in life, I am not going to continue it.  I was wondering if I bought Silk Soy milk and added the baby vitamins for the children who dont eat enough or the children who cant drink regular milk, if it would be a safer alternative?  I did breast feed and I had a very bad infection that caused me to have to stop and I was also placed on Lithium so I had to stop so I have very limited options here!  Please help me.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jridgill
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:33 PM
In not sure. Did you tell your doctor what you thought about doing? I would brain storm ideas with my doctor if it were me. Good luck
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:41 PM
It's not something I would do, but I definitely wouldn't use soy milk. Soy has dangers, too. Almond, coconut, and hemp milk are better alternatives for anyone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I would first look into relactating... Lithium can be ok while nursing (You'd want to call infant risk to check your dosage).   Next, I would look for a human milk donor.   Lastly, I would try a goatsmilk formula.  

Soy is far riskier than another mammal milk.. but if you can get or make human milk that would obviously be best.

sweetmomma326
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:03 PM

How do you even relactate?  I have wanted to so badly. 

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

I would first look into relactating... Lithium can be ok while nursing (You'd want to call infant risk to check your dosage).   Next, I would look for a human milk donor.   Lastly, I would try a goatsmilk formula.  

Soy is far riskier than another mammal milk.. but if you can get or make human milk that would obviously be best.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM
If give cow milk long before I'd give soy milk, and I'm pretty anti-cow milk. Soy is some pretty nasty stuff. It's awesome that you are trying to figure out something for baby though.

What is it about the formula that bothers him if it's not the milk or soy? Those are made in a fain that it's easier for baby to handle, in addition to having the missing micro & macro nutrients added. I'm curious how a baby could handle straight milk and not formula.

Have your tried the prescription elemental formulas yet?
Have you looked into finding a donor for breastmilk?
Lastly, I know they sell kits online through maybe green pastures to make your own baby formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:10 PM

put baby to the breast and nurse as much as he will.   you can try supply boosting foods like oatmeal and mothers milk tea... pump, pump, pump... will he take the breast?   How long since you stopped?    go to infantrisk.org and call their hotline to ask about your med.

in the meantime, you can find a milk donor.   eats on feets, and human milk for human babies are two orgsc that hook up donors and babies in need.

Quoting sweetmomma326:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:12 PM
If you've got a pump, start using it! Ideally pump for about 20 minutes every 2 hours around the clock (simulating a newborns demand) At first you'll get nothing most likely, but it's the simulation that matters, so don't despair.
Also start seeing if you can get baby to latch. If you can, out baby to breast frequently since a baby stimulates way better than a pump. If you can get baby latching, it's just a matter of time before you're back to bf. Also get a supplemental nursing system to give baby's formula at the breast. This will further stimulate production and get baby back in the habit of bf.

Quoting sweetmomma326:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetmomma326
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:13 PM

He was on the high calorie formula for preemies, it made him spit up everything, they put him on the senstive, he did the same thing and it also made him so constipated he pooped blood, they put him on the soy formula, it also constipated him very badly and no matter what method I used to make him poo, it was still hard.  She told me to try regular whole milk and add vitamin drops to it, well, he did fine on it, but I have been told by mothers on here and some drs in other offices its a big no no because it can cause Chron's disease and intestinal bleeding.  I am just at a loss right now and have no idea what to do. My oldest was on whole milk at 8 months for spit up problems and he never spit up again and is a happy and healthy 2 year old.  I just have no idea anymore...

Quoting larissalarie:

If give cow milk long before I'd give soy milk, and I'm pretty anti-cow milk. Soy is some pretty nasty stuff. It's awesome that you are trying to figure out something for baby though.

What is it about the formula that bothers him if it's not the milk or soy? Those are made in a fain that it's easier for baby to handle, in addition to having the missing micro & macro nutrients added. I'm curious how a baby could handle straight milk and not formula.

Lastly, I know they sell kits online through maybe green pastures to make your own baby formula.

sweetmomma326
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM

He hasn't had breast milk since he was about 2 months old I think?  I breast fed exclusively in the hospital while he was there for the first month of his life.  I ended up having Mastitis and it was way too painful to even touch my breast myself so I had to stop until it cleared up.  I tried again to get it to come out later, it it did nothing.  I also live in a very very small area so I have never heard of a milk donor program around here.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

put baby to the breast and nurse as much as he will.   you can try supply boosting foods like oatmeal and mothers milk tea... pump, pump, pump... will he take the breast?   How long since you stopped?    go to infantrisk.org and call their hotline to ask about your med.

in the meantime, you can find a milk donor.   eats on feets, and human milk for human babies are two orgsc that hook up donors and babies in need.

Quoting sweetmomma326:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:19 PM
Sorry mamma, I really don't know in a situation like this. You don't want him pooping blood!
I would definitely try to find a breastmilk donor and work on relactating so he can at least get some along with whatever else you have to give him
Good luck.

Quoting sweetmomma326:

He was on the high calorie formula for preemies, it made him spit up everything, they put him on the senstive, he did the same thing and it also made him so constipated he pooped blood, they put him on the soy formula, it also constipated him very badly and no matter what method I used to make him poo, it was still hard.  She told me to try regular whole milk and add vitamin drops to it, well, he did fine on it, but I have been told by mothers on here and some drs in other offices its a big no no because it can cause Chron's disease and intestinal bleeding.  I am just at a loss right now and have no idea what to do. My oldest was on whole milk at 8 months for spit up problems and he never spit up again and is a happy and healthy 2 year old.  I just have no idea anymore...

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)