Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Dehydration? Update

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM
  • 10 Replies
Dd will be 9m tomorrow and hasn't kept anything down for 6hrs. I am currently nursing her but not sure how long she will keep it down. When should I be worried?

Update: spent 3hrs in the ER for the Dr to tell me he doesn't know whats wrong. She has finally stopped puking which is good.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
expectantmom81
by Erin on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:39 AM
When her diapers slow down and become less, her lips look dry and chapped, her soft spot begins to pulse or sink. Does she have a fever?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauratupper
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Quoting expectantmom81:

When her diapers slow down and become less, her lips look dry and chapped, her soft spot begins to pulse or sink. Does she have a fever?

Mrs.Burke11
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:17 AM
No fever. She kept her feeding down for 30min before she puked again :(

Quoting expectantmom81:

expectantmom81
by Erin on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM
If it continues and she isn't showing signs of being sick besides that I would look into acid reflux.

Quoting Mrs.Burke11:

Quoting expectantmom81:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:59 PM

30min is more than enough time to get the carbs and electrolytes from it.  Nursing is the best thing you can do, it protects the stomach, provides nutrition and fluids.  If she doesn't have a wet diaper every 6-8 hours then call your pediatrician to see what they say.

Quoting Mrs.Burke11:

Quoting expectantmom81:

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:00 PM

you can also pump and offer a medicine dropper full (1tsp) every 5-10 minutes all afternoon, it wouldn't be so much in the tummy at once, but it would be enough to keep her hydrated, maybe even start with a dropper full every 20 minutes for an hour and then move to more often if she tolerates it.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Breastmilk is so easily and quickly absorbed! Even if she vomits only a couple minutes after nursing, she still got alot of what she needs. Keep nursing mama, you're milk is giving her antibodies to help her get better faster. Stay away from pedialyte and water, neither will offer what breastmilk offers. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Burke11
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Sick baby in her hospital gown :(
lauratupper
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Hope she feels better soon!

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I'm glad she stopped puking!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)