Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

should a 16 month old be using a straw?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:16 AM
  • 26 Replies
Ds is 16 mo old and he can't use a straw yet, is that weird? It seems like every other baby can by now. I offer it to him frequently but he just chews on them. It's frustrating because Im also trying to get rid of bottles and it's not going well. Ds is very stubborn and knows what he wants. He's pretty advanced for his age, it's just this one hangup lol it can be very irritating.
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CJsMommy92
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM

It's not weird, he'll learn. Babies go at their own pace

weddingcountdown.com
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Reality_check
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM
my 9mo can drink from a straw.. o.o
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
babygomez
by April on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM

He'll eventually learn how. Some just take longer than others, and that's okay. :)

Both of my kids learned how to drink from a straw around 10 months of age.

Nicki1995
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM

My 10 month old has been drinking from a straw for a month now, but i agree, babies move at their own pace.

kadensmom052011
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Not weird at all I had a cousin that was almost 3 before he learned how to use a straw he will learn when he's ready good luck
gigis1
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:11 PM

no it's ok.. straws are tricky.. my friends son couldnt drink from a straw til maybe 20months.. he's 2 now and he does perfect with them

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I'm not sure. My daughter used one around 10 months, but it was easy to teach her. She was still breastfeeding, so I'd hand her a cup and straw and would tell her to "nurse", so she knew how to suck on the straw.

expectantmom81
by Erin on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Some kids take longer to figure it out. Just keep trying. A friend showed her kids how to blow into the straw to make bubbles and then they eventually figured out how to use it correctly :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kameka
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this
My niece was 2 before she learned. To teach her I put my finger on the straw to keep liquid in it and offered her the other end, letting go of the drink in her mouth a couple times. Then I did the same but didn't let go of the liquid. She started sucking it so I let the liquid out. I did that twice and then boom- she started drinking out of the straw.
jridgill
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Yep.

My kids were around 16/18 months.

Quoting babygomez:

He'll eventually learn how. Some just take longer than others, and that's okay. :)

Both of my kids learned how to drink from a straw around 10 months of age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)