Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Ladies who had a baby not long ago..

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM
  • 41 Replies
Have any of you been told NOT to give them any water as a baby (1-6 months)? Like not even a small amount? They told me in the hospital not to give my daughter any at all because she will have a seizure!? My sister had my niece 2 years ago and she got sick and they told her to give her some water not a ton but an ounce or two and nothing happened to her.
So have you heard this? Have you given your baby any water?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jamamama00
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:43 AM
4 moms liked this

There is absolutely no need to give a newborn water. Breastmilk and formula are mostly water, after all. A doctor might request otherwise under specific circumstances, but yes, it can cause some kind of water toxicity and kill them.

Slayton723
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
If you give them too much water yes it can cause problems but my pedi told me to give my dd pedialite at 5 weeks. I give her a little water every now and then in a medicine syringe because she likes to play with it but not a full bottle or anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krodden87
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM
I was told and read many places not to give them water for something like the first 6 months or so.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM
I was old no water. It can cause water toxicity and it can kill them. Why would they need water anyways? ESP formula fed babies. They get a few oz of water with every feeding.
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I was always told no water before 6 months. It's not a new rule. Water is not needed in newborns.

expectantmom81
by Erin on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this
The only time you would be told to give any water is for constipation. I had to a couple times with ds but I was told only like 1/2 to 1 ounce only.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corasmom1119
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I was told no water is necessary...again, too much water will throw off electrolite levels and make baby sick (water toxicity).  Small amount of water is fine. ggma's home remedy for belly aches, crushed peppermint and water to sooth babies tummy...no more than an oz.

Tracie82411
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:28 PM
THIS is exactly what I mean! Like I'm not saying a whole bottle of water or anything. My little one is constipated and its making her miserable

Quoting expectantmom81:

The only time you would be told to give any water is for constipation. I had to a couple times with ds but I was told only like 1/2 to 1 ounce only.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jridgill
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter is 2. When she was 2 weeks old I was told to give her a small amount of water if needed. About a ounce. She would take a few swallows but she never drank much.
Marimaru
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I don't know about a siezure, but they don't need additional water until they are getting food outside of breastmilk and formula.

You can over hydrate a person though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN