Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

EBF now have to FF . Nipple issues help ?

I've been EBF ds . He's 7weeks old . He started refusing a paci at 3 weeks & using me as one . & started refusing breast milk bottles too .

I now need to put him on hypoallergenic formula . We can't pin point what he's allergic to besides Dairy . & his allergies are now starting to effect his breathing. :/

I have Tommee tippee bottles & he is now whiling to try to take them , but he can't figure out how to suck on the nipple . Are there any other bottles/ nipples that are easier to transition to ?

Please do not make this into a debate / bash session or try to make me feel any worst then I already do about having to switch thanks .

& yes I tried an elimination diet .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Replies (21-25):
prdmomnarmywife
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Yes it's def no fun :(

Quoting MTSuperMomof4:

Isn't it sad when all you want to do is enjoy their little months and there is nothing but the runs and crying :( Thankfully we live in a time where we can try all sorts of things to figure out what is making them miserable. 

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting MTSuperMomof4:

Does he sound all congested and phlegmy? This sounds a lot like my DD and now my 10 week old DS. They are lactose intolerant and suffer from a serious case of GERD. Has he been checked for that? Also, I found a bottle made by MAM. It's the only on my DS will take and latch on correctly too. The nipple of the bottle is made to lol sort of like a squished nipple.

I am sorry you are going through this. I have been in you shoes and pray you find an answer soon!

Congested and phlegmy is related to dairy protein intolerance.. lactose intolerance causes major gastro issues (gas, diarrhea, etc...).   My first had the congested response to dairy proteins... took us 5 miserable months to figure it out!

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:54 PM
I saw that you didn't eliminate soy, I would definitely try that. Any dairy, whey, casein, and soy are the number one culprits
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Your breast are never empty so no worries in pumping it all out. Plus babies are a lot more efficient than a pump so even if you did make more as you pumped, your baby would still be able to get more out.

Quoting prdmomnarmywife:

Thank you ! At first it was the taste he would make a terrible face & wouldn't attempt to eat it at all , but now the taste doesn't seem to be bugging him as much , he tries latching and sucking but just can't figure out how to latch onto it . I wanted to try pumping again to teach him how to use the bottle but they had me put him on nutramigen at 3 weeks and since then my supply has some issues , I hardly make anything at all . I'm scared ,if I pump it all out and he still can't figure it out that he will have to go hungry for a few hours :/ he's already having a hard time getting full .

Thank you . He's going to be on neocate , that I am aware of there's nothing more hypoallergenic ? So if he can't tolerate that we will have some serious problems . My first did well with it so hopefully he does too ! I will try to pump as long as possible though and do a trail run at 6 months , if i can . to see how his allergies are .

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Poor guy!   Maybe it's the taste?   I know my daughter has no trouble sucking on anything... but if it tastes bad she'll just chew on it and pretend she doesn't know how (rather, she did that around your sons age)... maybe try a medicine dropper or SNS at the breast to get him used to the taste first?     Or try expressed milk in the bottle and then switch over.

Also, not sure if you've thought about it... but I'd probably continue to pump to maintain supply just in case you can't find a formula that works for him.   I've seen moms make the switch and then baby can't handle the formula either.   Just until he's tollerating it well, etc...

Quoting prdmomnarmywife:

For about 5 and a half weeks. He got better for awhile and is now getting bad again . . He's trying to take it now . He's no longer refusing . He just can not figure out how to suck on it properly .

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

theres really no way to make him take it... i know you said you did an elimination... but for how long?

XOXOnBubbles
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter was a preemie and it was a slow process for her to learn to suck, swallow, AND breathe in order to eat without a feeding tube.  After seeing the bottles they use in the NICU that have very narrow nipples I just switched from that to the regular Parent's Choice bottles from Walmart and she did great with them.  She would not drink from anything with a wide nipple on it. 

I hope you find something that works soon!  Good luck! 

sarahsmommy508
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:29 AM
1 mom liked this
use the playtex nurser bottle, worked well for my dd when i wasnt able to nurse
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN