Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Ear Piercing For Babies

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:19 AM
  • 64 Replies

Poll

Question: Ear piercing for babies, yes or no?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 98

View Results

This has been a topic for my DH and I about our DD. We've gone back and forth and we just can't come to a full decison. I know that if we get them done now, there are some benefits; they seem to heal faster and she won't remember the pain. But there are also downsides to it; risks on infections, her pulling on them. Plus, I just hate seeing her in pain. I want her to have them pierced because my parents waited until I was about 13 to let me get mine pierced and I had some troubles with mine and I wish they got gotten them pierced when I was younger. I just want to hear your opinions and if your L/O's ears are pierced. My DD is a little over 10 months btw.

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
themissheather
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:21 AM
4 moms liked this
I don't care for it, honestly. I will wait until DD asks and then use it as a reward to work towards.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:25 AM
2 moms liked this

To be completely honest I think it looks weird to have a baby or toddler with pierced ears. MIL tried to talk me into it but every reason I heard was stupid IMO. Instead of saying that and causing tension, though, I just said another reason I didn't do it: I did not want to have to worry about infection, cleaning, and changing earrings on a baby. 

Mrs.Velasquez
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:27 AM
I got both of my girls ears pierced. My decision along with Dh's. dd1 loves them and has never fussed with them. Dd2 is 13 months and hasn't touched them either.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:41 AM
5 moms liked this

I have a dd and I am waiting until she is old enough to make the choice for herself as to whether she wants her ears pierced or not.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
MixedCooke
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I always thought that when I had a baby girl that I would pierce her ear while she was a baby because I thought the baby girls that I saw with little studs were adorable.  I now have 2 girls and neither have had their ears pierced.  I decided that I would wait until she asked me to get her ears pierced and when they do, I have their birthstone earring waiting and ready!  I thought I would make it a special Mommy-daughter day in the process.

Loralismommy224
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:16 AM
2 moms liked this
IMO, I'm against piercings on a baby. I mean, at this age, we're doing it for ourselves & not the baby bc they clearly don't understand what's going on. To me, that's selfish. I agree with the above posters that I'm waiting until my dd (who is 11 mos) can ask for them herself. I also think pierced ears on a baby just kind of looks "not right." But this is all my opinion, & I don't judge mamas for their actions of piercing their baby's ears...mine just won't be having hers done anytime soon.
erikays
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:04 AM
1 mom liked this
We are waiting til she's old enough to decide, it was a easy mutal decision.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amiesmomma
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Hubby and I have talked al ot about it.  I think it's fine either way.  DD1 was 5 when we did them and we had to battle an infection.  DD2 is 7 1/2 months and I want to get them done at a year but hubby doesn't want me to 

sj3starz
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:33 AM
5 moms liked this
I don't get how cosmetic altering of a child is accepted in this form or that male circumcision is okay, but female circ is illegal, along with tattoos... Those are just as permanent.

I'll just wait until dd asks, since there is too much gray and not enough black and white.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM
2 moms liked this
Not my body to be altering, so no I personally don't agree with piercing a baby's ears. When dd is old enough to actually ask for it, she'll be brought to a professional *licensed* piercer who uses needles and not some teenage girl at a mall who has zero training and uses a nasty germ infested gun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)