Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Hair brushing... such a pain

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:02 PM
  • 16 Replies

My daughter will be 1 on Monday, and frankly my children were blessed with hair from the get go. All of my kids were born with full heads of hair, and my girl's hair is already down to the middle of her back if her slight curls are straight, like when wet. Well anyways, she throws an utter fit when I go to brush her hair and put it up so it won't get "stuff" and food in it as easily. Well my husband doesn't like to hear her crying or to see me basically become a python to hold her so I can at least brush it. He wants me to just leave her be since she doesn't like it, but I can't. I feel like a horrible mother when I see her hair is a tangled icky mess. My husband says we just wash it and suddenly "tada!" it looks great, but that is only for about 30 seconds after her bath. Any ideas on how I can make this easier? My husband doesn't understand, but with her hair as long as it is I can't let it just get into a tangled mess that will also hurt when I have to wash it and pray I don't yank on tangles. And frankly I don't want to cut it, it just wouldn't be worth it in the end for me because she would still not let me brush it with it being short.

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:45 PM

DD has to the same issue, she has long hair down to the middle of her back when it's not crazy curly and she's going through a ponytail strike where she won't let me put anything in her hair to keep it from getting in food. I'm lucky that she does let me brush her hair, but I just have to wash it often to keep the food out of it. I just keep trying with her, eventually she changes her mind and grows to like things again.

abra
by Abra on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I braid my daughters hair at night to keep tangles to a minimum and usually put it in braids or a pony tail during they day.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM
I have this issue with ds. We are getting his hair cut at the end if the month though. I'm going to miss his curls. I just use a little conditioner after shampooing and that helps and i just leave his hair alone between baths.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I brush it as soon as we get out of the bath and braids help

mandaschelle
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:20 PM
After washing dd (2) hair I brush it while she is occupied with a puzzle or book. I the morning and after nap she sits at the table with finger food watching a cartoon so her hands are busy any she keeps her head semi still.
Some days is works better than others.
jridgill
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:52 PM
I would suggest this! Good luck

Quoting abra:

I braid my daughters hair at night to keep tangles to a minimum and usually put it in braids or a pony tail during they day.
kirstina
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Doing my dds hair while she is strapped into the high chair is helping me. She also has long hair.
ljpaszek
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:20 PM

This is going to sound silly but I made it fun for my daughter. I told her that I had this special bottle of fairy god mother spray (tangle spray) to put in her hair and every time we brush it it helps make it longer... Like rapunzel (sp?). I also lt her afterwards sometimes brush my hair for me. That has helped until about 2 months ago... She is 5 now and she decided her brush hurt the tangles in her hair so she went and picked out any hair brush she wanted from the store.

ljpaszek
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:26 PM

This is going to sound silly but I made it fun for my daughter. I told her that I had this special bottle of fairy god mother spray (tangle spray) to put in her hair and every time we brush it it helps make it longer... Like rapunzel (sp?). I also lt her afterwards sometimes brush my hair for me. That has helped until about 2 months ago... She is 5 now and she decided her brush hurt the tangles in her hair so she went and picked out any hair brush she wanted from the store.

shadow_lark
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Cowboy magic detangler, works wonders. Dd has tight ringlets and with this stuff she doesn't complain at all.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN