Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hair brushing... such a pain

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter will be 1 on Monday, and frankly my children were blessed with hair from the get go. All of my kids were born with full heads of hair, and my girl's hair is already down to the middle of her back if her slight curls are straight, like when wet. Well anyways, she throws an utter fit when I go to brush her hair and put it up so it won't get "stuff" and food in it as easily. Well my husband doesn't like to hear her crying or to see me basically become a python to hold her so I can at least brush it. He wants me to just leave her be since she doesn't like it, but I can't. I feel like a horrible mother when I see her hair is a tangled icky mess. My husband says we just wash it and suddenly "tada!" it looks great, but that is only for about 30 seconds after her bath. Any ideas on how I can make this easier? My husband doesn't understand, but with her hair as long as it is I can't let it just get into a tangled mess that will also hurt when I have to wash it and pray I don't yank on tangles. And frankly I don't want to cut it, it just wouldn't be worth it in the end for me because she would still not let me brush it with it being short.

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Replies (11-16):
Cynthje
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I distract her and i put braids in at nigth so that helps a lot. My little pony goes a long way in distracting her!

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Braids. They're lifesavers. Pigtail braids or just one braid down her back, it doesn't matter.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 13 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 8 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 9 months old

squeekers
anyone in BC Canada? Hope you're ok after that 6.6 quake: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/usb000px6r#summary
Today at 12:24 AM
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:56 AM

our DD has seriously thick hair. our hair salonist suggested we braid her hair before bed. it helped stop gnarly bed head for us.

SaraSnider
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:00 AM
Detangling spray is my best friend when it comes to my dd. Most times n the tub i wash her hair then spray it in(while in the tub) and brush it as she plays. If i try to brush it after her bath its like tamming a mad lion lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AngryBob
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:40 AM
Dd's hair was so bad in the back we shaved her head when she was one. Now we buy the detangler spray, and try to make it as fun as possible. We tell her how pretty she looks. She's two and a half, but loves to hear that she's pretty.
I also start from the bottom of her hair, and work my way up. If there is a particularly difficult knot, I hold it away from the scalp, so when I brush, it doesn't pull on her head, does that make sense?
I also make sure to put conditioner in her hair. We noticed that brushing it every day, sometimes even twice a day, helps. It doesn't look better (just too matted, cant wait until it grows long like your dd), but it helps keeping the tangles out. I would also suggest cutting it if it's that unmanageable.
AngryBob
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:41 AM
Btw, happy birthday to your little princess!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)