Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

cereal in bottle?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM
  • 12 Replies

So I watch this baby and the mother of this baby asked me a while ago about putting cereal in the bottle. I told her that you are not to do that and I told her why. It seemed like it sank in to her but when she dropped her off today she told me that she brought cereal and i could feed it to her in the bottle or with a spoon if i wanted to. I didnt say anything yet but im wondering if i should even bother. ive told her once and if she chooses to do it then is it my place to say something again? What do u ladies think about it. do u or have u done it?

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I personally wouldn't feel comfortable putting a baby at risk for choking and SIDS, so if mom insisted, I'd refuse to watch baby. Your choices are either do what mom says or don't watch baby. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy1763
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM
I did it with my first child 16 yrs ago,big mistake but i didnt know better. I didnt even give my last 2 girls baby cereal. I wish someone wouldve told me better back then...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CjEmmemommy
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

My babies never had bottles or cereal so I don't know. If you feel that strongly mention it again but no it's not your place to decide what she feels comfortable feeling her child. Then again while she is at your home you don't have to give it to her. You may lose the job though.

Good luck

Duquesne
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM
I wouldn't. But it's not your decision to make. If you don't want to, I'd let her know you're not comfortable babysitting and she can find someone that works for her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littlemonaghan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:57 AM
While I think cereal I'd pointless all the way around, she's giving you the option of feeding it with a spoon. It's her baby and if she wants her to have cereal, give her the cereal on a spoon. Never put it in the bottle but respect the moms wishes to give her child cereal if that is what she wants.
abra
by Abra on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM

well said! I agree completely with this!

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

My babies never had bottles or cereal so I don't know. If you feel that strongly mention it again but no it's not your place to decide what she feels comfortable feeling her child. Then again while she is at your home you don't have to give it to her. You may lose the job though.

Good luck

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM
I wouldnt be able to give it to the child. You cant change her but you can change what you do. Id tell her that its not a good practice, tell her you would love to give her some literature on it, and that you cant give it to the baby in good conscious so if she wishes her baby to continue, she needs to find a different babysitter. It may at least get her to research the topic so if she decides to continue it, she at least does so with the knowledge of what it means.
lauratupper
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Quoting Turtledoves:

I wouldnt be able to give it to the child. You cant change her but you can change what you do. Id tell her that its not a good practice, tell her you would love to give her some literature on it, and that you cant give it to the baby in good conscious so if she wishes her baby to continue, she needs to find a different babysitter. It may at least get her to research the topic so if she decides to continue it, she at least does so with the knowledge of what it means.

babygomez
by April on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I would do as mom asks. It's her child, after all.

FrumpyMama
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I wouldn't do it if I was watching someone elses baby. I would just say "Thanks for bringing it but I don't feel comfortable doing that." If she has a problem she can find a different sitter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)