Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

HOT tempered toddler. I need help. Feeling defeated.

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:21 AM
  • 6 Replies

Our daughter is almost 3-1/2 years old. She's very independent and hot tempered when she's angry. She'll throw things and absolutley refuses to listen to anything you tell her about calming down. She'll scream at me. When she wants things her way, that's the way it has to be or she'll throw a fit. So basically, it sounds like she's spoiled, but believe me, she's not. She's good when she wants to be but a majority of the time, she makes me feel worthless  because she won't listen to anything I tell her. It doesn't matter how I tell her or even when I get down to her level, eye to eye. I feel like a joke of a mother and a fool in front of my husband. Even he doesn't understand how I can't take care of these situations but he can. Of course he can...he's never around and he's very stern with her (as I've tried to be) so she's scared of him. She's with me all the time, so she probably knows what she can get away with. I don't want to be a mean mother and resort to spanking her all the time. IDK what to do but I feel defeated :(

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MixedCooke
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:35 AM
1 mom liked this

time out, make her say please if she wants something or dont give it to her, theres a way to be stern without resorting to spanking but you need to make sure you follow through.  My 2.5 yr old has a major temper, but she knows she will not get out of time out until she apologizes.  You need to follow through and NOT give in no matter how much she screams, yells or throws things.

Salem2012
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Every time she starts to act like that walk away from her and ignore her...maybe if she sees you dont react to it she will stop that and try something else when she is mad.

theresaf
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:58 AM

the next time you go to the doctors i would tell the doctor everything about how she behaves or don't behave. the doctor should be able to help you with this. in the mean time i would be stern, time outs with an apolize, walking away, taking thing away that she throws. you don't need to spank her to be stern

kirstina
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:34 AM
timeout. tell her until you calm down you will stay in the calm down corner. put her back a million times if you have to. i personal spank my children when they get out of time out because it solves the problem faster. keep yourself calm. if you get angry it will not help. help her find ways to express her feeling. i know your mad because xyz but you cant do or have xyz.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alandou
by April on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Thank you all! I'm going to start trying time outs. I've thought about making some calming bottles for her to concentrate on and hopefully forget about the current issue she's dealing with at the moment. I may need a calming bottle and time out myself, LoL!

iansmommy9
by Natasha on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Being spoiled isn't always about material things and being stern isn't about always spanking. I can be stern with my 2 1/2 year old without being in the same room. Choices and consequences are big in our house. If I tell him to pick up your toys before we leave and he chooses not to, after telling him what happens if he doesn't pick them up, I say, "that's your choice. Then, I pick  them up, put them in a bag, and put them out of his reach. If he screams, I remind him that I asked him to do it, he chose not to, and losing the toys is the consequence. 

You must consistently follow through with any threats. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN