Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Should i feel horrible?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:44 PM
  • 11 Replies
I had my baby girl two months ago and am a first time Mom. Becoming a Mother has been a huge adjustment for me after being used to working full time and being only responsible for myself. Thank goodness for my wonderful husband and family for the help! I can definitely say i have a whole new appreciation for all the Mommy's out there. Anywho...on Monday I go back to working full time and my sister will be watching my daughter for me. While I will miss my little sweetie pie a whole lot, I can't help but feel some kind of relief to get a break from playing mom all day. Should I feel like a horrible Mom? I'm used to working and making my own money, plus my family and I can't make it on my husbands pay alone. I dnt think I could ever be a stay at home Mom. I also kinda feel guilty that i have to work instead of being at home with my kid and seeing all her firsts, that part makes me sad :( all part of being a Mom I suppose.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rwebb11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Everyone is different. I never had a desire to be a stay at home mom, but now I am, and I love it. I know a lot of people that work by choice not necessity. This doesn't make them a bad mom, they just need a break like all of us do and value their career which is honorable. Good luck with your first day back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kayleesmom42328
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't feel bad! We all need a break sometime. Being a sahm isn't for everyone. Every couple has to do whats best for them. As a sahm there are times I wish I still worked just so I could get a little time away from my 2 dd & have time to myself. I love being a mom to my 2 yr old & 6 month old but it does get stressful at times.
merryvoice
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Think of it this way: you are doing what you need to do to provide for your family. You're not negligent so try not to feel guilty mama!
abra
by Abra on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Bump! I cried whenever I had to go back to work. i have been a sahm for 7 years now and love it. Hopefully, someone here has a more helpful response. Good luck!
GE1
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I have been a career woman all my adult life and becoming a mom in my 40s was a big adjustment. I have been at home for over a year and doing odd jobs from home every now and then. I also did an online course and took a Saturday course while my husband looked after DS. I also now need to get back to work but will be working on Saturdays only while my husband enjoys his Daddy Day every week. Don't feel guilty, you are doing what you need to do and unfortunately what you need to do and what you want to do, are not the same thing. Totally normal feeling relief yet sadness all at the same time: it is called being a mommy. Congratulations on becoming a mommy and good luck to you

robibuni
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

You shouldn't feel horrible at all!!! Moms are STILL people (despite what some people would argue) with needs and wants, and we need breaks sometimes!

I've been a SAHM since DD1 was born (nearly 4 years ago), however, I worked part time a couple summers ago and was very excited to go back to work, but it helped that I loved my job. I viewed work as a bit of a break from DD1 and a chance to reclaim some independence as a mom, and when I got home, I was so excited to see her! I was also lucky to have a great sitter who would text me pictures of her, text me how she was doing, etc and I'm sure your sister will do the same for you if you'd like her to!

You'll be fine :) Good luck!

Loralismommy224
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Your story fits me to a tee!!! It was also a big adjustment period for me & DH as well. I've worked ft since I was 17, & have always been very independent. Me & dh were so used to doing what we wanted & when we wanted. I think those feelings are very normal, & trust me it'll get better & you'll adjust just fine :)
Salem2012
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:48 PM

No not everyone is meant to be a stay at home mom.

NancyD85
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Thank you all wonderful mommy's for your comments and words of encouragement! They make me feel much better about it all. I know all will work out and these are normal feelings to have, it's just all brand new!
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I've only been a SAHM but it's normal to feel that way. In my opinion, not all women are meant to work or stay at home. Every family has it's own unique way of working. You sound like a great, loving mom doing the right thing for your family, focus on that <3

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)