Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

umbilical cord

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:35 AM
  • 19 Replies
My baby is 2 weeks old and his umbilical cord hasn't fallen off yet but i have a question I was told not to clean it and to leave it alone by the doctor I noticed that it looks like Its peeling by the belly button and dry blood is that normal ? My dd is 4yrs old and believe It or not I dont remember how It was when she was a new born. Any answers or websites help thanks
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crumpy_gat
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep totally normal.  It took 15 days for ds to lose  his, and there was dried blood also after the doctor messed with it.  Then a couple days after that, it was gone.

mrs.pina
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I guess alot of doctors are different than . My doc told me to wipe my dd's cord with alcohol wipes smh. But i guess it's normal
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babid14
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah thats normal. Itll fall out when ready. I was so scared when my son's came off because he was laying on me and when i lifted him up it was gone. It got ripped off after 4 or 5 days
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rwebb11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:39 AM
1 mom liked this
That is perfectly normal. My sons didn't fall off for 3 weeks and the doctor wasn't concerned at all. The dried blood is normal, whenever it does fall off just clean it with a wet wash cloth to get the blood off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erikays
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Totally normal! My oldest fell off around 2.5 weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crystalplus1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, thats normal. What you have to look out for is a bad smell from it. My sons fell off at about 16 days. Not sure where it went.....but i have a feeling the dog ate it.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes its normal, if it smells, looks extremely inflamed, or has pus drainage then worry. It can take 3 weeks to fall off. It may bleed when it does and can take time to heal after. My youngest sons fell off at 1 week and took a week to heal up after. I'm pretty sure it fell off too soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AleaKat
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Same here!
It's normal but mine told me to clean around it with a q tip and alcohol.

Quoting mrs.pina:

I guess alot of doctors are different than . My doc told me to wipe my dd's cord with alcohol wipes smh. But i guess it's normal
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I cleaned ds's with alcohol every other changing and after a bath. His fell off at 3 weeks and 1 day after it had been hanging by a thread for 2 days (eww)!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Some take longer then others. I have know a few. It took up to 6 weeks. But 2 weeks is normal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)