Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies
My baby is 2 weeks old and his umbilical cord hasn't fallen off yet but i have a question I was told not to clean it and to leave it alone by the doctor I noticed that it looks like Its peeling by the belly button and dry blood is that normal ? My dd is 4yrs old and believe It or not I dont remember how It was when she was a new born. Any answers or websites help thanks
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Replies (11-19):
USD2012
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

My son's fell off in 7 days.. Doc said to clean it with sanitised cotton wool after every bath. worry only if its smelling bad or you see puss developing...

Salem2012
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

The dry blood is normal i dont remember the peeling but im pretty sure it's normal...my lo's lasted til about 3-4 weeks.

NoahsMommy10412
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this
It's normal. If your concerned about the dried blood try taking a wet q tip to it then drying it with the other end (only wet one side). That's what the doctor told us to do with my son.
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Judging from the other replies, it's normal. I have 4 babies and all of them lost their cord stumps by day 5, I can't imagine having that thing there for 2 weeks!

I didn't do anything special with it. They were bathed and changed normally from birth, no alcohol etc.

babygomez
by April on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter's fell off at 4 weeks. My son's fell off at 2.5 weeks.

Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Every baby is different and every doctor has a different suggestion for care. Go with what you've been told and just wait it out. If it smells, swells, or oozes, you need to get it checked. Otherwise, everything is ok.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, normal

mommylove818
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Thank you everyone just wanted to make sure :)
renae87
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep totally normal. I would be worried if their was puss like drainage coming from it, but the dry blood indicates thats its healing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN