Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting ready to wean from BM & need advice!!!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM
  • 5 Replies
Ok, so let me give you ladies a little background info first: dd will turn 1 on 2/24, & she's been taking pumped BM since she was 5 days old. She still takes at least 24 ozs of BM per day, in conjunction with table foods/snacks. She is my first child, so I have no idea what the next step will be or how to handle it. I am wanting to start cutting back her BM intake once she turns 1 bc I work ft, & pumping is just Sooo hard to continue. I will however, pump at least 1 time a day so she can have SOME BM as long as possible. My question is: what are good healthy foods for babies after they're done with BM & how do I wean her from BM bottles (except for at least 1 per day)? Up til this point, it's been so easy- just pump & feed her @ least 24 ozs per day, & bam, she has all of her nutrients, lol! My dh & I unfortunately do not eat as healthy as we need to, so I guess we just don't know how & I want dd to eat as healthy as possible. So sorry this is so long, but any advice/experience is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jlynnpaine
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Well I'd say you've got two things to work on here. I'd make sure she's eating 3 meals per day with 2-3 snacks as needed. We feed my DD whatever we're having for dinner. DH and I have definitely revamped our eating habits since having kids so I know that can be hard but it's definitely worth it. Our DD is 8 1/2 months old and we steam veggies for dinner and then she has small pieces of whatever we're having as well. She often out eats my 3 1/2 year old! We do cut up pieces of fruit and either cereal or toast with eggs, yogurt, etc for breakfast. Lunch is similar to dinner - whatever we're having plus a fruit or veggie.

As for the milk, what we did with DD1 and plan to do with DD2 when the time comes is start mixing whole milk with BM in the bottles (or sippy cups, whichever you prefer). First week we did 1/4 of a cup of whole milk and 3/4 cup BM, the second week 1/2 and 1/2 and the third week straight whole milk. If you want your DD to continue to get some BM, just add however much you're pumping to the bottles as you wish. I continued to BF my first DD until she was 14 months so she did get some BM after she was switched completely to whole milk during the day.

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:03 PM

She needs to be having 3 full meals and a couple snacks per day, and I would try mixing a small amount of regular milk (or soy or rice or whatever you want you use) into her BM a day.  She only needs 4 servings of dairy per day to get her calcium, a serving is 4oz of milk, 4oz of yogurt, 4oz of soft cheese (ricotta, cottage) or sour cream, 4oz of ice cream, 1oz of hard cheese (cheddar, jack, etc).  offer a variety of foods (we were on finger foods by now, don't know about you) so for breakfast we often had dry cereal, a cup of milk, and some fruit, for a snack some crackers and cheese, for lunch cheese toast sticks, a veggie (carrots, green beans, peas, etc) and a fruit, a snack mid afternoon of fruit generally, sometimes fruit and cheese or yogurt(now fruit and nuts a lot since my girls are almost 2 and 3.5), dinner they got whatever we ate ...chicken with green beans and corn, pork chops with greens and sweet potatoes, etc.

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM

You'll need to wean from the pump to prevent infection... so, cut out a session every few days, or once a week... then slowly start replacing your milk with whatever milk replacement you plan to give her (Cows, goats, etc...).  

For a healthy diet... you just want lots of fruits and veggies (fruit is generally a snack around here), good protein (eggs, chicken, fish, etc...) and whole grains.  My rule is that if it comes from a can, or has more than 3 ingredients, we don't eat it.  

Loralismommy224
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:22 PM

BUMP!

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I agree

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

You'll need to wean from the pump to prevent infection... so, cut out a session every few days, or once a week... then slowly start replacing your milk with whatever milk replacement you plan to give her (Cows, goats, etc...).  

For a healthy diet... you just want lots of fruits and veggies (fruit is generally a snack around here), good protein (eggs, chicken, fish, etc...) and whole grains.  My rule is that if it comes from a can, or has more than 3 ingredients, we don't eat it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)