Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So this debate has me going crazy....

Posted by   + Show Post

Rear face or forward face...what are you doing and why?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Replies (21-30):
Salem2012
by Anais on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM

See to me this is just excessive.

Quoting Randi02:

My older kids were almost 4 when I turned them. My 2.5 year old and 2 week old are both still rear facing.

Why? It's what's safest, and I would not be able to live with myself if something happened and I had not dine my best to protect them. It takes no extra effort, and it is so much safer.

CafeMom Tickers
Salem2012
by Anais on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I've decided to rf til 15 months he is 11.5 months now and already weighs 23lbs.

mollysmom328
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I don't understand why people would not want to protect their children from something that is so preventable!

Quoting Amberleigh81:

I plan on rear facing until my son outgrows his convertible - so 3-4.

Why? Not because it's the law, but because it's the safest thing for him.

It is really inconvenient to have him rear-facing. My seat is moved all the way forward, and passengers don't like riding with me. IDGAF. My child's safety trumps my comfort or my passenger's comfort. Having a kid and being a mom means doing what is BEST for the child.

amiesmomma
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Why would you consider this excessive?  Why turn the car seat around if research proves that rear facing is safer?  Turning the car seat around is not a developmental milestone.

Quoting Salem2012:

Quoting Randi02:

My older kids were almost 4 when I turned them. My 2.5 year old and 2 week old are both still rear facing.

Why? It's what's safest, and I would not be able to live with myself if something happened and I had not dine my best to protect them. It takes no extra effort, and it is so much safer.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Excessive? Not really. Their seats rear faced to 35lbs. They were 34lbs and 42/44 inches when I turned them. Excessive would be exceeding the weight/height limits on their seats, we were well within them.

My 2.5 year old is in a seat that rear faces to 40lbs, and she is only about 37 inches tall right now - and less than 30lbs. She has a long way to go.

This is a horrible picture, lol - but you can see she's not uncomfortable at all.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/422826_10151164123761520_1722450845_n.jpg

Quoting Salem2012:

Quoting Randi02:

Salem2012
by Anais on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I consider this excessive because if the law is 1 and the reccomendation is 2....why must they ve rear facing til 4?! I do not plan to rear face til 2 ...at most 18 months and i am not saying it is bad to rf all im saying is that 4 seems like way too old to be rf when a 4 year old can already be in a booster.

Quoting amiesmomma:

Why would you consider this excessive?  Why turn the car seat around if research proves that rear facing is safer?  Turning the car seat around is not a developmental milestone.

Quoting Salem2012:

Quoting Randi02:

CafeMom Tickers
Salem2012
by Anais on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I was not saying she would be uncomfortable it just seems excessive to me to keep a kid rear facing til 4 is what i am saying. Even if they are not passed the height and weight requirements.

Quoting Randi02:

Excessive? Not really. Their seats rear faced to 35lbs. They were 34lbs and 42/44 inches when I turned them. Excessive would be exceeding the weight/height limits on their seats, we were well within them.

My 2.5 year old is in a seat that rear faces to 40lbs, and she is only about 37 inches tall right now - and less than 30lbs. She has a long way to go.

This is a horrible picture, lol - but you can see she's not uncomfortable at all.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/422826_10151164123761520_1722450845_n.jpg

Quoting Salem2012:

Quoting Randi02:

CafeMom Tickers
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I have two in car seats still, one is 3.5, she's forward facing only because of some sensory issues.  My youngest is 23 months and she's rear facing.  Rear facing is 500% (5xs) as safe as forward facing for toddlers and preschoolers.  I will rear face her as long as possible, and I will ff in a harness until my child is mature enough to sit appropriately the whole ride because a booster does no good if the child doesn't sit where the belt can do it's job.

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Why is it excessive, it's 5x safer, they are 75% less like to sustain a life threatening injury rear facing.  We would all be safer if we could all rear face because of the way a rear facing seat distributes the forces in a crash.

Quoting Salem2012:

I was not saying she would be uncomfortable it just seems excessive to me to keep a kid rear facing til 4 is what i am saying. Even if they are not passed the height and weight requirements.

Quoting Randi02:

Quoting Salem2012:

Quoting Randi02:

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:56 PM

according to your siggy, your child is not legally old enough to forward face as they must be BOTH 20lbs and 1 year of age to forward face--this is the bare minimum--the AAP recommends 2 years AND 30lbs or the upper limits of the seat, the NHSTA recommends as does Sweedish research (they are about 30 years ahead of us in this) 4 years old and 40-50lbs for optimum safety.

Quoting Salem2012:

Rear face or forward face...what are you doing and why?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)