Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

So this debate has me going crazy....

Posted by   + Show Post

Rear face or forward face...what are you doing and why?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this
My older kids were almost 4 when I turned them. My 2.5 year old and 2 week old are both still rear facing.

Why? It's what's safest, and I would not be able to live with myself if something happened and I had not dine my best to protect them. It takes no extra effort, and it is so much safer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:47 PM
RF til 2 since that's what's recommended now. I only rf dd til 1 BC that was the recommendation back then.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Journeysmama11
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM

My daughter was rear facing until a little after her first birthday. Her legs were bent from hitting the back of the seat since she's REALLY tall for her age. It was good timing too since I had my son a few months later and we could use the infant car seat!

kirstina
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM
My 4 year old is in a high back booster, my 6 year old is in a regular booster. My 16 month old is rear facing when in the van and ff in Hubby's car(its 2 door and hard to put her in rf.) We will have her trying until 35lbs the limit on her car seat. She is only 23lbs now.
pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM
My son is over 20 lbs at ten months. He will be able to ff at one, but I will not ff him. It isn't safe!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amiesmomma
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I plan to rear-face until at least two.  Always look at a number of factors.  What does the law say?  What are the manufacturer's recomendations? what is safest for your child?

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this
This. When my dad came down he complained about riding in our truck because Callie's carseat was rear facing behind his seat. He kept saying theres no need for a "car seat the size of a Buick". It's a myride 65 lol. It's not that big.
Oh and dd is 20m and I have no intention of FF her anytime soon. She's only 23#

Quoting Amberleigh81:

I plan on rear facing until my son outgrows his convertible - so 3-4.

Why? Not because it's the law, but because it's the safest thing for him.

It is really inconvenient to have him rear-facing. My seat is moved all the way forward, and passengers don't like riding with me. IDGAF. My child's safety trumps my comfort or my passenger's comfort. Having a kid and being a mom means doing what is BEST for the child.

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Rear...proven safer. It's that simple.
ceckyl
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:46 PM
It's not really a debate. It's the laws of physics. My 3 year old is still rfing, and will be until she outgrows her seat.
MommyShanna2011
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:04 PM

My son will be rear facing until he reaches either 40lbs or 40 inches (Complete Air 65). Whether that is in 10 1/2 months or in 2 years, I don't care. It's the safest. I have the room in my back seat, and if someone doesn't like not having ALLLLLL of the leg room possible up front, screw them (though really, it's just my husband up there). I don't like having my passenger seat all the way back, anyway. :)
I'm not going to knock parents who FF at one year because technically that is the law, but if you think about it... if something horrible were to happen (no fault of your own), adults walk away with whiplash. Babies/toddlers? Break their necks. That's why they recommend RF until at least 2.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)