Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

So this debate has me going crazy....

Posted by   + Show Post

Rear face or forward face...what are you doing and why?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Replies (111-120):
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I don't understsand how he outgrew a myride then...my 40in 3.5 year old is still in her myride ff.  He's got to have a REALLY long body and no legs to have outgrown the seat totally already since the top harness slot is at 17.25in and they haven't outgrown it until their shoulders are there or they weigh 65lbs.

Quoting angela.bouchard:

39 inches

Quoting Salem2012:

Holy crap lol how many inches is he now? Mine was 30 inches in December. He has his check up in March so im thinking 31 inches by then.

Quoting angela.bouchard:

Mine out grew his my ride 65 by height forward facing at 2.5 lol 

Quoting Salem2012:

Mine is big but i dont think he'll out grow his seat any time soon...at least i hope not lol it rf til 40lbs! and he's 23lbs.

Quoting angela.bouchard:

My son was forward facing before 2 but he has always been very big for his age and out grew his seat before we expected. Lol 

angevil53
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Dd is rf. She's 15mo and 19#. She's not ready to turn yet. Probably at 2yrs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Even if she's not 1 AND 20lbs?  even though you know it's safer?  Any reason why other that it's what you want to do?

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

My child is currently in her infant carrier rearfaced of course. When she exceeds the seat limit she will be foward faced in her convertable seat. Did the same wiht my first child

angela.bouchard
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM

He was too close for comfort growing out of it. So we bought him a new seat before he was too big. Not sure why you care :P

Quoting emkirkley:

I don't understsand how he outgrew a myride then...my 40in 3.5 year old is still in her myride ff.  He's got to have a REALLY long body and no legs to have outgrown the seat totally already since the top harness slot is at 17.25in and they haven't outgrown it until their shoulders are there or they weigh 65lbs.

Quoting angela.bouchard:

39 inches

Quoting Salem2012:

Holy crap lol how many inches is he now? Mine was 30 inches in December. He has his check up in March so im thinking 31 inches by then.

Quoting angela.bouchard:

Quoting Salem2012:

Mine is big but i dont think he'll out grow his seat any time soon...at least i hope not lol it rf til 40lbs! and he's 23lbs.

Quoting angela.bouchard:

My son was forward facing before 2 but he has always been very big for his age and out grew his seat before we expected. Lol 

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I guess mostly because I'm curious as it doesn't make sense to me since I have one of those seats.  Their ears have to be above the top of the seat and shoulders above the top of the harness before they outgrow it by height...that's not possible with a 39in child unless they have freakishly long body and a huge head.  My kids all have long torsos and are no where near needing the top slots on the myride.

Quoting angela.bouchard:

He was too close for comfort growing out of it. So we bought him a new seat before he was too big. Not sure why you care :P

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting angela.bouchard:

39 inches

Quoting Salem2012:

Quoting angela.bouchard:

Quoting Salem2012:

Quoting angela.bouchard:

louzannalady
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I do whatever is the safest thing for my child. The safest thing for my child is to rear-face untl he or she meets the weight/height maximums for their car seat for rear-facing. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U Great video! : ) Not graphic of bloody. It's CG, but it helps you see which is safer. 

angela.bouchard
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM

This pic was about 2 months before we bought his new seat and he is slouched over. 

Considering he grew 4.5 inches alone within the last 6 months and has been in the 95th percentile in height since he was an infant we figured he would out grow it soon so we bought him a new seat that would keep him harnessed longer. He's only 35 lbs so his weight isn't an issue, but by height he needed something bigger. Here he is now in his evenflo securekid 300, since this is Cafemom I'll just go ahead and say that this pic was the first time he had been in the seat so we weren't driving and I untwisted the strap :P he still has plenty of room and the head part adjusts even higher. 

Quoting emkirkley:

I guess mostly because I'm curious as it doesn't make sense to me since I have one of those seats.  Their ears have to be above the top of the seat and shoulders above the top of the harness before they outgrow it by height...that's not possible with a 39in child unless they have freakishly long body and a huge head.  My kids all have long torsos and are no where near needing the top slots on the myride.

Quoting angela.bouchard:

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting angela.bouchard:

39 inches

Quoting Salem2012:

Quoting angela.bouchard:

Quoting Salem2012:

Quoting angela.bouchard:

louzannalady
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I respect your decision. What makes it extreme, I am wondering, though? What research have you done to show safety for a child forward facing at 18 months? It is the most evidence-based practice, that will be most likely to keep child safe, to ERF. Why would anything that is reasonable and easily able to be done, considered extreme? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U

Quoting Salem2012:

I respect all of ur decisions for me and my family 4 is extreme will most likely rf until 18 months.

luvmyaustin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM

i forward faced two of the three of my kiddos at a year and 20 pounds our dd just switched a few months ago she is 3 and 28 pounds she was of course age too but she is tiny i think she finally hit 20 pounds in the summer last year but still looked to small to me so we held off until November i think.

louzannalady
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM

At fourteen months, your LO's neck is not strong enough to support the head in case of an impact at even moderate speeds. : *( 

Quoting babygomez:

My kids are 14 months old and 4 years old, and they forward face. Have since they turned one.
That's just how we "roll". ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)