Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

God I hope not again :-(...edit... Updated after dr app

Posted by   + Show Post
We just got done with a month long ear infection with my 1 year old that took 2 different antibiotics to deal with and right after that he started teething 6 teeth. Well it's now 2 weeks after that calmed down and I am hoping he doesn't have another ear infection, I was up every hour with him crying in his sleep having to pull him back to his pillow and he was running over 102 fever and around 430 all he wanted to do was cuddle with me and wouldn't sleep after that unless I rocked him. Today no fever but he is VERY cranky. God I hope it's not another ear infection :-(, poor thing can't catch a break.

Update... Well the no fever didn't last to long, it's back up over 102. No other symptoms besides him being really cranky. I'm now in debat on calling the dr cause I would really hate for it to be an ear infection again.

UPDATE2---well no ear infection, the dr says she thinks it's a virus and if he is still running a temp Saturday then bring him back. Hopefully she is right and he is better by then cause we have plans saterday for a late vday thing with a babysitter. Weird thing she did day is stop rotating the ibprofin and tylonal cause she thinks it's to hard on them and not recommended anymore (never heard that before and his actual dr recommends it to us still, dr he saw was the one I don't fully trust yet) any one else's dr tell them this?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Replies (11-15):
jlbelknap35
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:10 PM
I'm still going to do it at times cause his fever has been getting up to 103 and separately they have only knocked it down a lil below 102 together (staggered about 3 hours apart) they keep it fully down for several hours so I'm not having to give it round the clock anyway. I tried only ibprofin by itself when he first got the fever sense he takes that easier then the tylonal and it would take forever to get it to 101 and by the time it got there it would start going back up.

Quoting tyrelsmom:

I'd only do the rotation if the fever is still high when it would be time for the other med. Like 103ish high. At least 102.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:17 PM

A fever is a good thing. By constantly trying to bring it down, you're just going to prolong the illness since that is how the body fights back. I would treat his symptoms to keep him comfortable, but don't worry so much about the fever.

Tylenol is extremely hard on their liver. It's actually responsible for over 60% of all acute liver failure cases. I have never given it to my children. One of my kids needed some Ibuprofin after surgery, and I made sure it was given to them with some food so it wasn't so hard in the lining of their stomach.

Quoting jlbelknap35:

I'm still going to do it at times cause his fever has been getting up to 103 and separately they have only knocked it down a lil below 102 together (staggered about 3 hours apart) they keep it fully down for several hours so I'm not having to give it round the clock anyway. I tried only ibprofin by itself when he first got the fever sense he takes that easier then the tylonal and it would take forever to get it to 101 and by the time it got there it would start going back up.

Quoting tyrelsmom:

I'd only do the rotation if the fever is still high when it would be time for the other med. Like 103ish high. At least 102.

paganmommy4
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Every doctor i've talked to has recommended tylenol the two hours later ibuprofen and keep doing that until the fever has been managed. tylenol and ibuprofen are two completely different medications. Another way to reduce a fever is letting your child have two- three otter pops to cool them off internally. If its not an ear infection then it might be something else.

jlbelknap35
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Sorry but 103.4 when he got up from his nap is not normal and the ibprofin I gave him over an hour ago has not touched it. If you have any other recommendations to help (yes I know cool rag or cool bath and cool food like popcicles) I would love to know cause he is not a happy camper right now! And yes if in another hour it isn't close to coming down I will give the tylonal.

Quoting Randi02:

A fever is a good thing. By constantly trying to bring it down, you're just going to prolong the illness since that is how the body fights back. I would treat his symptoms to keep him comfortable, but don't worry so much about the fever.

Tylenol is extremely hard on their liver. It's actually responsible for over 60% of all acute liver failure cases. I have never given it to my children. One of my kids needed some Ibuprofin after surgery, and I made sure it was given to them with some food so it wasn't so hard in the lining of their stomach.

Quoting jlbelknap35:

Quoting tyrelsmom:

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I hope he feels better soon : ( And we try to do as little medicine as possible

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)